NCTJ Diploma in Journalism Level 3
Course Code JOUDP50111036
Study Mode Full Time | Full Time
Duration One Year | One Year
Campus Paget Road Campus | Paget Road Campus
Recognised by editors across the country as the only relevant course for new journalists, the National Council for the Training of Journalists (NCTJ) Diploma has a successful history here at City of Wolverhampton College. With superb grades for each learner year on year and fantastic links with local industries our NCTJ Diploma has been awarded the best NCTJ FE course for seven years running. This has been achieved through delivering a course led by industry professionals who provide you with the best possible route into gaining employment into the journalism career you are looking for.
The course is taught through a combination of lectures and hands-on practical experience. We have excellent contacts with editors across the region who regularly interview learners for job openings that occur. Last year 10 learners immediately went into industry relevant jobs, some gaining job offers even before they had completed the course.
This course is an excellent alternative to university for students who would prefer to take a professional route into journalism, but is also designed for graduates who wish to specialise in journalism and is the qualification demanded by editors, irrespective of your degree.
As part of the National Skills Academy for Creative and Culture we pride ourselves as being at the forefront of education and training for the ever changing journalism industry. This course hosts a range of guest speakers and links with local newspapers such as the Express & Star, Shropshire Star, Birmingham Mail, Worcester News, Hereford Times and Aroq magazine group - it allows all learners to gain current and relevant training which gives them not just a qualification, but the experience in the career they wish to pursue. Not only NCTJ but Arts Council England has endorsed the quality of our teaching and learning and links with employers by awarding us 'Arts Mark Gold'.
To access this course you are required to have:
- Five or more GCSEs at Grade C or above including English and maths
- Ideally you should also have achieved either two A Levels or an equivalent Level 3 qualification such as a BTEC Diploma
- You will have an interview and will be required to sit a national entrance exam set by the NCTJ
Need support with funding for the Journalism course? The Journalism Diversity Fund may be able to help: http://www.journalismdiversityfund.com
During this course you will study:
- Journalist reporting
- Court reporting
- Essential Media Law
- Essential public affairs
- Video journalism for online
- Journalism ethics
- You will also complete a work placement in a local paper and create a portfolio of stories
By studying this course you will:
- Be part of a programme of study that has excellent pass rates
- Be on a course that for four years running is the best in the country
- Be taught by our experienced, knowledgeable and talented Journalism lecturing team
- Produce articles and features that will be published in newspapers
- Have the opportunity to use a wide range of industry software and equipment
- Gain a work placement to work alongside industry professionals
- Improve your knowledge of what journalism opportunities are available
- Gain valuable team working and communication skills
- Improve your employability skills
The course is assessment based and assessment is continuous throughout the year both in lessons, set work, exams and a portfolio. Each unit will be assessed and awarded with a final grade of A to E, learners who achieve A to C grades in each exam and 100 words per minute shorthand will achieve gold standard accreditation and pass the full diploma.
The skills you will learn from this course will enable you to:
- Pursue a career in print journalism, broadcast journalism, as a press officer, in public relations, marketing or web authoring
- Progress on to employment or a relevant university degree
EMPLOYMENT BY REGION
© 2018 City of Wolverhampton College, All Rights Reserved. |