Access to Higher Education Diploma (Engineering) – Open College Network West MidlandsCourse Code: AENDP Learning Aim Code: 40003905 Full-time / Part-time: Part-time (15 hours per week) Duration: One year Campus: Paget Road campus
Is this the right course for me?
If you are 19 or over and want to pursue a higher education qualification in an engineering-related subject but lack the necessary qualifications to go to university our Access to Higher Education Diploma (Engineering) will give you the skills you need to go on to a degree.
The Access to Higher Education Diploma is widely recognised by universities and bridges the gap between existing education and what is needed to study at degree level.
The diploma is an intensive and challenging one-year course that will give you an overview of engineering and modern manufacturing processes and will help you to develop the skills, knowledge and confidence needed for Higher Education.
To succeed on this course you will need to be committed and focused and have a zest for learning, as well as good time management skills, particularly if you work and have family responsibilities.
Before you embark on the course it is important that you know what you want to study at university, have thoroughly researched your chosen course and attended university open days.
If you want to pursue a career in the engineering industry our Access to Higher Education Diploma (Engineering) will set you on the road to a great career
What will I learn?
The Engineering pathway will focus on:
- Engineering mathematics
- Mechanical science
- Electrical science
- Development of study skills for Higher Education
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will:
- Develop your understanding of the underpinning skills, knowledge and academic conventions needed for Higher Education
- Learn how to research, design, plan and write educational assignments as well as developing your critical and evaluative thinking skills
- Develop an appreciation for the promotion of active reading to identify relevant information and take part in discussions and debates based on informed reading
- Develop your analytical skills to give you the confidence to participate in verbal and written educational debate
- Develop your practical skills and appreciate the need for attention to detail
How will I be assessed?
This is an assessment-based course and will include a combination of essays, reports, presentations, group discussions and timed examinations.
What can I do next?
The skills you will learn on this course will enable you to:
- Move on to an higher education course in a Engineering related subject (you are advised to check that the Access to HE course is accepted as entry onto your chosen course)
- Pursue a career in Mechanical, Electrical, Maintenance, manufacturing, design or quality Engineering
What are the Entry Requirements?
You need to be working to at least Level 2 English, and Level 2 maths, which will be assessed at your interview. This will allow you to study English and maths alongside your main programme of study if required.
You must demonstrate your commitment to the course and a keen interest in pursuing your chosen career. Applicants who do not have recent experience of study but have relevant work or life experience will be considered on an individual basis.
The suitability of applicants will be assessed through the combination of an application form, interview, and an initial assessment.