Applied Chemistry HNDCourse Code: CHEHD Learning Aim Code: 50082474 Full-time / Part-time: Full-time Duration: Two years - year one HNC / year two - HND Campus: Paget Road campus
Is this the right course for me?
If you want a career in the health or science industry the BTEC Higher National Certificate/Diploma (HNC/D)in applied chemistry will equip you with the skills, knowledge, understanding and personal qualities to work in a chemistry-based field.
The course covers a range of areas from thermodynamics and reaction kinetics to the chemistry of aromatic and carbonyl compounds.
Completion of the HNC/D will enable you to progress to the second or third year of an undergraduate degree or further professional qualification in applied biology or a related area.
The course is run over two years – in the first year you will complete the HNC diploma and in the second year you will consolidate your learning and develop your skills and knowledge further by studying modules in more depth, leading to the full HND qualification.
Studying at college is a more intimate environment than at university and you will train in our dedicated facilities which include fully stocked laboratories. You will be taught by tutors who have a wealth of knowledge and experience in this area and will encourage you to reach you maximum potential and progress to your chosen career.
What will I learn?
During the course you will study the following modules which will provide you with a sound knowledge base for progression into employment or further study:
- Inorganic chemistry
- Organic chemistry
- Physical chemistry
- Chemical laboratory techniques
- Applied science project
- Analysis of scientific data and information
- Medicinal chemistry
- Analytical chemistry
- Organic chemistry of aromatic and carbonyl compounds
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will:
- Gain an understanding of the foundations of inorganic chemistry and the chemistry of important elements and compounds
- Develop knowledge of the principles and practical techniques of organic chemistry
- Gain an understanding of concepts and practical techniques in physical chemistry
- Practise and become proficient in a range of practical skills and data analysis
- Develop skills in mathematical and statistical techniques used in the analysis of scientific data
- Gain an understanding of the factors relating to drug structure and design and biochemical responses of drug treatment
- Learn how to perform some key processes involved in analytical chemistry and gain practical skills in undertaking extended practical investigations
- Gain an understanding of aromaticity and optical activity
- Use your knowledge, understanding and skills in an individual practically-based study
How will I be assessed?
Throughout the course you will be assessed in the following ways:
- Course work
- Work in a chemistry-based field
- Progress to the second (HNC) or third (HND) year of an undergraduate degree
- Study for a further professional qualification in applied biology or a related area
- 2 A Levels – in biology and chemistry OR
- BTEC Level 3 qualification in applied science Plus
- Good written and oral English
- Evidence of an interest or involvement in the science/healthcare industry
What can I do next?
Completion of the course will enable you to:
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access this course you are required to have: