Art and Design Diploma Level 2 – University of Arts London Awarding BodyCourse Code: DE2DP Learning Aim Code: 5007104X Full-time / Part-time: Full-time Duration: One Year Campus: Paget Road Campus
Is this the right course for me?
If you enjoy art and design and would like to develop your practical and creative skills then this course is ideal for you.
Art and design covers many exciting and innovative areas of the creative industries. This focused and intensive course is for those with enthusiasm and creativity and will prepare you for your future as the next generation of artists and designers.
This course will give you experience in different art and design disciplines, including 3D design, visual studies, textiles, illustration, photography and graphic design. Each term you will work on a number of assignments and exhibit your practical work with an end of year final exhibition in the city centre. You will take part in practical workshops, lectures, debates, gallery visits and independent research.
You will learn new skills and develop experience in a number of specialist techniques and approaches from experienced and dedicated tutors together with a range of guest speakers. We will develop your creative potential while improving your understanding of visual communication.
Arts Council England has endorsed the quality of our teaching and learning and links with employers.
The course is accredited by the University of the Arts London Awarding Body (UAL). City of Wolverhampton College is the only college in the Black Country, and one of only a few in the Midlands, to be accredited and offer qualifications from University of Arts London. UAL is a specialist awarding body offering up-to-date qualifications in the creative industries. It is owned by, and based within, University of the Arts London.
What will I learn?
During this course you will study:
- Visual recording
- Ideas and concepts
- Visual communication
- 3D design
- Drawing from observation
- Contextual influences in art and design
- Illustration and working to a brief
- Graphic image making
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will:
- Be part of a programme of study that has excellent pass rates
- Be taught by our enthusiastic, experienced and talented art and design lecturing team
- Learn in a range of dedicated studios including graphics, 3D, fashion and print making
- Have the opportunity to use a wide range of artist and studio equipment, software and cameras
- Understand how all of the skills you are learning can be applied in the industry
- Improve your knowledge of what art and design industry opportunities are available
- Gain valuable team working and communication skills
- Improve your employability skills
- Learn in a creative arts department awarded
How will I be assessed?
The course is project/assignment based and assessment is continuous throughout the year both in lessons, set work and through observations. Each unit will be assessed and awarded with a final grade of pass, merit or distinction. Some units may be subject to external assessment.
What can I do next?
The skills you will learn from this course will enable you to:
- Pursue a career as a graphic designer, illustrator, architect, fine artist, interior designer, product designer, fashion designer and stylist, photographer, sculptor or concept artist
- Progress on to the BTEC L3 90 Credit Diploma in Art and Design
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access this course you are required to have: Four or more GCSEs at Grade D or above.
You will be asked to come for an interview and you will be expected to demonstrate your interest, enthusiasm and commitment to undertaking an art and design course at this level by presenting a selection of recent art and design work