Art and Design Foundation Level 3 – University of Arts London Awarding BodyCourse Code: ADFDP Learning Aim Code: 50079281 Full-time / Part-time: Full-time Duration: One Year Campus: Paget Road Campus
Is this the right course for me?
This focused and intensive course will prepare you for your future as one of the next generation of artists and designers. This course provides a transition from school or a Level 3 college course to specialist art and design study at a higher level.
This course offers you the opportunity to explore a wide range of practical media, technical methods and a variety of theoretical ideas that are central to art and design in its contemporary context. It provides an intensive and realistic experience in a range of specialist areas and is organised in such a way that you are encouraged to build upon your previous experience while developing new skills, knowledge and understanding of your personal practice.
The course is accredited by the University of the Arts London Awarding Body (UAL). City of Wolverhampton College is the only college in the Black Country, and one of only a few in the Midlands, to be accredited and offer qualifications from University of Arts London. UAL is a specialist awarding body offering up-to-date qualifications in the creative industries. It is owned by, and based within, University of the Arts London.
This course will give you experience in different art and design disciplines, including 3D design, visual studies, textiles, illustration, photography, print making and graphic design. Each term you will work on a number of assignments and exhibit your practical work around the college with an end of year final exhibition in the city centre. You will take part in practical workshops, lectures, debates, gallery visits and independent research. You will learn new skills and develop experience in a number of specialist techniques and approaches from experienced and dedicated tutors together with a range of guest speakers. We will develop your creative potential while improving your understanding of visual communication.
Arts Council England has endorsed the quality of our teaching and learning and links with employers by awarding us ‘Arts Mark Gold’.
What will I learn?
During this course you will study:
- Fine art
- Visual communication / graphic design
- 3D design
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will:
- Be part of a programme of study that has excellent pass rates
- Be taught by our enthusiastic, experienced and talented art and design lecturing team
- Learn in a range of dedicated studios including graphics, 3D, fashion and print making
- Have the opportunity to use a wide range of artist and studio equipment, software and cameras
- Understand how all of the skills you are learning can be applied in the industry
- Improve your knowledge of what art and design industry opportunities are available
- Gain valuable team working and communication skills
- Improve your employability skills
- Learn in a creative arts department awarded ‘Arts Mark Gold’ by Arts Council England for the level and quality of our education provision in creative industries
How will I be assessed?
The course is project/assignment based and assessment is continuous throughout the year both in lessons, set work and through observations. Each unit will be assessed and awarded with a final grade of pass, merit or distinction. Some units may be subject to external assessment.
What can I do next?
The skills you will learn from this course will enable you to:
- Pursue a career as a graphic designer, illustrator, architect, fine artist, interior designer, product designer, fashion designer and stylist, photographer, sculptor or concept artist
- Progress on to our our HND in Graphic Design, a university degree or employment
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access this course you are required to have:
- Five or more GCSEs at Grade C or above and a full Level 3 (either A Level or BTEC)
- Demonstrate your interest, enthusiasm and commitment to undertaking an art and design course at this level by presenting a selection of recent art and design work