AS Level BiologyCourse Code: BGYAS Learning Aim Code: 60146242 Full-time / Part-time: Full-time or Part-time Duration: One Year Campus: Paget Road Campus
Is this the right course for me?
Are you keen to learn more about how our bodies work, how cells work together and allow our bodies to function, and how all of this works with the environment?
Do you enjoy analysing and solving problems?
Do you want a rewarding and challenging career?
Then Biology is right for you!
Biology happens all around us, it governs who we are. As you understand it more, you can appreciate how much every bit of our lives depends on our understanding of this.
By taking Biology you develop some very useful skills that can be applied well outside of the subject discipline; these include problem solving, numeracy and practical skills as well as developing a broad scientific background. As a result it is a highly respected and useful qualification for higher education and employment in a wide range of areas.
This is a one year course.
What will I learn?
During this course you will study:
- Cells, exchange and transport (AS)
- Molecules, biodiversity, food and health (AS)
- Practical skills in biology 1 (AS)
- Communications, homeostasis, and energy (A2)
- Control, genomes and environment
- Practical skills in biology 2
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will:
- Develop your interest in and enthusiasm for biology, including developing an interest in further study and careers in biology
- Appreciate how society makes decisions about scientific issues and how the sciences contribute to the success of the economy and society
- Develop and demonstrate a deeper appreciation of the skills, knowledge and understanding of how science works
- Develop essential knowledge and understanding of different areas of biology and how they relate to each other
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed through externally assessed written papers and coursework practical units.
What can I do next?
The skills you will learn from this course will enable you to:
- Pursue a career in a whole range of science related careers from laboratory work, research work to engineering, dentistry, pharmacy and medicine
- Progress on to university to study for your chosen career, or seek employment
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access this course you are required to have:
- Five or more GCSEs at Grade C including English and maths and a grade B in science (specified at higher grades depending on individual subject choices)