Beauty Therapy Diploma (VRQ) Level 2 (part-time)Course Code: BY2DP - 1P1A Learning Aim Code: Full-time / Part-time: Part-time Duration: 34 weeks: September 2017 - June 2018 Campus: Metro One campus
Is this the right course for me?
If you’re interested in beauty and want an exciting career in the industry this course will give you the skills and knowledge you need to become a fully qualified beauty therapist and provide treatments to customers in beauty salons and spas or to passengers on a cruise ship.
You will learn a broad range of skills – including beauty treatments, waxing, manicures and pedicures – and provide treatments to clients in our fully equipped industry-standard beauty salons.
You will learn how to deliver first class customer service and promote products to clients, as well as the importance of health and safety in the workplace - all of which will impress future employers and equip you for a dynamic career in the beauty industry or with the knowledge you need to progress to a higher level of study.
Our commercial beauty salon at the Metro campus – which uses reputable brands such as Elemis, Sienna X and Orly - will enable you to develop your skills by providing treatments to real customers in a commercial environment, and you will also take part in an industry week during which you will have the opportunity to meet employers – such as Steiners or the Simply THE group – and take part in workshops and gain certificates for additional treatments and products such as gel polish.
We have excellent feedback from our past students and some have gone on to become spa therapists at Hoar Cross Hall Spa or to work as therapists for Steiners which operates beauty spas on luxury cruise liners.
You will also take part in an industry week during which you will have the opportunity to meet employers – such as Steiners or the Simply THE group – and take part in workshops and gain certificates for additional treatments and products such as gel polish.
What will I learn?
During this course you will learn how to:
- Monitor and maintain health and safety practice in the salon
- Demonstrate client care and communication skills
- Diagnose skin types and conditions to prepare for facial treatments
- Perform reception duties
- Provide manicure and pedicure treatments
- Remove hair using waxing techniques
- Promote products and services
- Provide eyelash and brow treatments
- Perform manual and spray tanning treatments
- Provide head massage
- Apply make-up
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will:
- Understand how different beauty treatments work and how they are applied
- Develop your confidence in dealing with a wide range of clients
- Improve your communication and customer service skills
- Gain valuable team working by working as a member of a team in a commercial salon
- Develop your understanding of the health and safety in the industry
- Pursue a career as a beauty therapist in the industry
- Choose to specialise in a specific area – eg nails or make-up
- Progress to a Level 3 beauty qualification such as spa, nail enhancement or body massage
- Four or more GCSESs at Grade E or above OR>/li>
- Successful completion of a full level 1 study programme>/li>
You will also be required to purchase your own beauty kit and uniform – order forms will be provided before the start of the course.
How will I be assessed?
You will be continually assessed throughout the programme – you will be observed working practically, have assignments throughout the course and complete online tests to assess your knowledge.
What can I do next?
The skills you will learn from this course will enable you to:
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access this course you are required to have: