Beauty Therapy Diploma Level 2Course Code: BY2DP Learning Aim Code: 50090768 Full-time / Part-time: Full-time Duration: One Year Campus: Metro One Campus
Is this the right course for me?
If you’re interested in beauty and want an exciting career in the industry this course will give you the skills and knowledge you need to become a fully qualified beauty therapist and provide treatments to customers in beauty salons and spas or to passengers on a cruise ship.
You will learn a broad range of skills – including beauty treatments, waxing, manicures and pedicures – and provide treatments to clients in our fully equipped industry-standard beauty salons.
You will use your skills to raise money for charity and will provide treatments in local hospitals, get the chance to put your skills to the test in national and international competitions, and meet beauty companies and get additional training during an industry week.
You will also learn how to deliver first class customer service and promote products to clients, as well as the importance of health and safety in the workplace - all of which will impress future employers and equip you for a dynamic career in the beauty industry or with the knowledge you need to progression to a higher level of study. We have excellent feedback from our past students and some have gone on to become spa therapists at Hoar Cross Hall Spa or to work as therapists for Steiners which operates beauty spas on luxury cruise liners.
As part of your course you will be actively encouraged to enter national and international skills competitions and we are extremely proud that one of our beauty students scooped a bronze medal in the advanced beauty therapy category at the national finals of the WorldSkills UK competition.
You will also take part in an industry week during which you will have the opportunity to meet employers – such as Steiners or the Simply THE group – and take part in workshops and gain certificates for additional treatments and products such as gel nails or Thai massage.
This is a one year full-time course.
What will I learn?
During this course you will study the following modules:
- Anatomy and physiology
- Health and safety practice in the salon
- Client care and communication in beauty-related industries
- Promote products and service to clients in a salon
- Salon reception duties
- Facial skincare
- Hair removal using waxing techniques
- Manicure treatments
- Pedicure treatments
- Eyebrow and eyelash treatments
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will:
- Understand how different beauty treatments work and how they are applied
- Develop your confidence in dealing with a wide range of clients
- Improve your communication and customer service skills
- Gain valuable team working by working as a member of a team in a commercial salon
- Develop your understanding of the health and safety in the industry
How will I be assessed?
You will be continually assessed throughout the programme - you will be observed working practically, have assignments throughout the course and complete online tests to assess your knowledge.
What can I do next?
The skills you will learn from this course will enable you to:
- Pursue a career in the beauty industry either working as part of a team in a salon, or working for yourself as a mobile therapist or renting a couch in a salon
- Choose to specialise in any of the treatments
- Become a representative for a beauty company
- Progress to a Level 3 beauty course such as spa, nail enhancement or body massage
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access this course you are required to have:
- Four or more GCSESs at Grade E or above, or successful completion of a full level 1 study programme
- You will be asked to take a trade test