Pottery Level 1 Award: Art, Design & Media – University of Arts London Awarding BodyCourse Code: PTYAW Learning Aim Code: 60132668 Full-time / Part-time: Part-time Duration: 15 weeks Campus: Paget Road campus
Is this the right course for me?
The course will introduce beginners to basic clay and 3D sculpture construction techniques such as slab, coil, thrown, slip casting and modelling, and surface treatments, including glaze, slip decoration, decals and transfer printing.
This course is designed for anyone with an interest in and enthusiasm for the craft and is suitable for beginners as well as those wishing to refresh their skills.
The course is accredited by the University of the Arts London Awarding Body (UAL). City of Wolverhampton College is the only college in the Black Country, and one of only a few in the Midlands, to be accredited and offer qualifications from University of Arts London. UAL is a specialist awarding body offering up-to-date qualifications in the creative industries. It is owned by, and based within, University of the Arts London.
What will I learn?
During this course you will study:
- Exploring clay as a creative media
- Exploring creative ideas and interpreting research
- Creating a sample clay sculpture or functional vessel
- Using metals and other resistant materials to create 3D sculpture
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will:
- Learn about modelling and coiling
- Find out about slab building
- Learn about various decoration techniques
- Gain experience in glazing and hand building
- Learn about pinching and the use of plaster moulds as pressmoulds
How will I be assessed?
This is an assignment based course so there are no exams. You will be continually assessed throughout the programme.
What can I do next?
The skills you will learn from this course will enable you to:
- Gain excellent experience and skills if you who are wishing to progress on to further study in the art and design subject area
- Progress onto a full time Level 2 Art and Design course
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access this course you are required to have:
- Level 2 in Literacy
- Some experience or knowledge of arts and crafts