Sport, Development, Coaching & Fitness BTEC Extended Diploma Level 3 (Year 2)Course Code: SPTED Learning Aim Code: 50067643 Full-time / Part-time: Full-time Duration: One year Campus: Wellington Road campus
Is this the right course for me?
Enhance your opportunities! Continue to pursue Sport and complete the second year of the 90 credit Diploma to top up your BTEC. The course is designed to develop your understanding on coaching, fitness and sports development.
You will learn about the body in sport, exercise and fitness and prepare for working in the industry. You will also develop the occupational skills you need in team-working, effective communication and problem solving, to enable you to progress into employment or further study.
What will I learn?
During this course you can study the following modules:
- Sports coaching
- Sports development
- Practical team sports
- Practical individual sports
- Sports nutrition
- Exercise, health and lifestyle
- Instructing physical activity and exercise
- Psychology for sports performance
- Physical education and the care of children and young people
- Work experience in sport
- Technical and tactical skills in sport
- The athlete’s lifestyle
- Profiling sports performance
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will:
- Develop your understanding on key anatomical structure and function
- Learn how to develop training programmes for specific groups
- Develop your confidence in dealing with work related issues
- Understand how to apply your skills to areas of the industry
- Improve your knowledge and understanding within key training principles
- Gain valuable team working and communication skills by taking part in events such as the college Olympics
- Improve your English skills by talking to local providers for work experience (speaking & listening), reading the latest sports journals (reading) and completing written assessments (writing)
- Develop your maths skills by comparing performance profiling scores with an athlete (number), calculating the space needed to coach a session (measure, shape and space) and interpreting fitness testing data (data)
How will I be assessed?
A variety of assessment methods are used including: individual and group presentations, case studies, role-plays, question and answer, producing display materials, time constrained assessments, work-based assignments and assessment.
This will allow you to develop skills you currently possess and work on new skills that will help you progress, it will also allow you to build a portfolio of evidence and complete other workpacks that are required for you to gain the qualifications in this programme.
What can I do next?
The skills you will learn from this course will enable you to:
- Progress onto our HNC Sport programme here at the college
- Move on to a career as a sports scientist, physiotherapist, sports coach, sports development officer, sports psychologist or PE teacher or in leisure management
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access this course you are required to have:
- Five GCSE passes (A-C) to include English and ideally Maths, PE and Science, or the BTEC First Diploma at Merit (equivalent), or NVQ Level 2 Coaching at Pass, both with Level 2 Key Skills in Communication
- Police declarations, CRB and suitable references
- A curriculum interview