Business BTEC HNC / HNDCourse Code: BSNHD Learning Aim Code: 50082395 Full-time / Part-time: Full-time Duration: Two years – HNC 1 year then option to top up to HND in year 2. Campus: Paget Road Campus
Is this the right course for me?
Are you a real go-getter with a desire to succeed?
The world of business is vibrant and fast-paced offering exciting opportunities in a range of sectors and if you are looking for a senior position in the business industry the BTEC HNC/HND in Business will enable you to broaden your knowledge across a wide range of topics and give you the skills to succeed in your chosen profession.
HNC/HNDs are highly valued by employers and studying the course will enhance your employment prospects and career progression at a management level.
On completion of the first year you will achieve the HNC in Business and can progress to the HND qualification in year two. At the end of the course you will have achieved the first two years of an undergraduate degree.
We have excellent feedback from our past students, many of who have gone on to university to study full degrees in subjects such as business, business management, law, accountancy, marketing or human resource management, whilst others have become entrepreneurs and set up their own businesses.
The HNC is a one year full-time course which you can progress to the HND level with an additional year of study. A HND is equivalent to two years at university so you can progress to the final year of a full honours degree once you have achieved the HND.
What will I learn?
During this course you will study the following modules:
HNC Mandatory Core Units Year 1:
- Business environment
- Marketing essentials
- Human resources management
- Management and operations
- Management accounting
- Managing a successful business project (Pearson set)
- Entrepreneurship and small business management
- Financial accounting
HND Mandatory Core Units Year 2 for September 2016
- Aspects of Contract & Negligence for Business
- Business Decision Making
- Business Strategy
- Research Project
- Working With & Leading People
- Employee Relations
- Business Events Management
- Business Ethics
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will:
- Develop your understanding of the business environment
- Learn how marketing principles work
- Develop an appreciation for the legal (negligence & contracts) aspect for business
- Develop your confidence in dealing with business decision making tools and processes
- Understand how business strategy develops in industry
- Improve your ability in working with and leading people
- Gain valuable team working and communication skills by taking part in project management
How will I be assessed?
This is an assignment-based course and there are no exams. You will be continually assessed throughout the programme and there are several components to the assessment which will involve research projects, role plays, written assignments, portfolios and online materials on Moodle including powerpoint presentations and group/individual presentations.
What can I do next?
The skills you will learn from this course will enable you to:
- Pursue a career in a business environment
- Progress to further higher level business courses at university
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access this course you are required to have:
- Level 3 qualification, GCSE in maths and English at grade C or above, and an interest or experience in business - however mature students will be considered in light of relevant work and life experience
- You will be required to complete a diagnostic assessment for literacy and numeracy
- If English is not your first language you will need to meet the English entry requirements of the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) 5.5 or demonstrate you have the equivalent ability in English
- You must be aged 18 or above to study a HNC/D qualification