Carpentry & Joinery Diploma Level 1Course Code: CJ1DP Learning Aim Code: 60080462 Full-time / Part-time: Full-time or Part-time evening Duration: One Year Campus: Wellington Road
Is this the right course for me?
Carve out a career as a carpenter with this very practical qualification!
The Level 1 Diploma in Carpentry and Joinery is designed for learners interested in starting a career in carpentry within the construction industry. It will provide you with the necessary practical skills and knowledge to progress to a Level 2 Diploma and possible employment.
The one year programme covers topics related to health and safety, quantity and communications, building methods and the use of hand and power tools.
The college Entry/Level 1 programme is a great way to start your career if you are 16-18. It enables you to develop the skills and confidence to progress in college and into work. You will develop a wide range of skills in your chosen subject area as well as gaining qualifications in English, maths and ICT.
Construction Diplomas are nationally recognised craft qualifications and are accepted in the construction industry. Craft qualifications are in units, which can be studied in any sequence. These qualifications are required for the Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS).
What will I learn?
During this course you will study the following modules:
- Health, safety and welfare in construction
- Technical information, quantities and and communication
- Construction technology
- Maintain and use of carpentry and joinery hand tools
- Prepare and use carpentry and joinery portable power tools
- Erect and dismantle access equipment and work platforms
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will:
- Learn about carpentry and joinery techniques in practical and theory sessions
- Find out about health and safety on construction sites and how important it is
- Learn various techniques on carpentry and joinery skills
- Improve your communication and team work skills
- Improve your numeracy and literacy skills to prepare you for a life in construction
How will I be assessed?
Your progress will be continually assessed and you will be provided with detailed feedback in order to help you to develop your skills. Your progress will be evaluated through a combination of practical assessments, job related multiple choice assessments at the end of each unit and external tests that are on-line computer based examinations. To gain the diploma you must be successful in achieving all units and passing the synoptic practical test.
What can I do next?
The skills you will learn from this course will enable you to progress on to the Diploma Level 2 in Carpentry and Joinery.
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access this course you are required to have:
- Three or more GCSEs at grade G or above
- A minimum Entry Level 3 in literacy and numeracy and a commitment to the course
- A short hand written (50 words) assessment of your English skills
- An interview to be considered for this course
- A strong interest in their chosen programme of study
- The commitment to work towards improving English and maths as part of the programme