Certificate in Skills for Professions in Health and Social Care – Level 2 (part-time)Course Code: SPFCE 1e 1a Learning Aim Code: 60157537 Full-time / Part-time: Part-time Duration: One year Campus: Wellington Road campus
Is this the right course for me?
If you want to work in a caring role in a health or social care setting such as in a care home or nursing home, already work in the sector and want to improve your skills, or fancy a change of career and want to learn something new, this course will equip you with the skill and knowledge you need for looking after adults in a care environment.
You will consider the role of care worker and your relationship with, and responsibilities towards, service users and the wider care sector. You will learn important communication skills and how to work as part of a team, as well as developing an understanding of health and safety in the workplace.
We have excellent feedback from past students, many of whom have gone on to pursue careers in nursing, midwifery, youth work or social work, or to study for higher eduication degrees at university.
Our lecturers have a range of experience and qualifications in health and social care so don’t just teach theory, but prepare you for a career in the profession.
The course is part time and held in the evening enabling you to fit studying around other work or family commitments.
What will I learn?
During this course you will study the following modules:
- Communication in health and social care
- Eqaulity in health and social care
- Working in a care setting
- Moving a pateint
- Infection control
- Food safety and supporting a user to eat
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will:
- Develop your understanding of a healthcare environment
- Learn practical skills
- Develop an appreciation for health and safety
- Develop your confidence in dealing with service users
- Understand how your skills can be applied in th healthcare industry
- Improve your care skills
- Gain valuable team working and communication skills by taking part in practical activities
How will I be assessed?
This is an assignment-based course and tere aren's any exams. You will be continually assessed throughout the programme through pratical work and assignments which will need to be completed on a computer.
What can I do next?
The skills you learn on this course will enable you to progress to:
- Pursue a career as a carer in a healthcare setting
- Progress on to the Level 3 diploma in health and social care
- Progress to Access to Higher Education diploma in either Nursing or Social Care which, in turn, will enable you to progress to university to study for a degree.
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access this course you are required to have:
- Four or more GCSEs at Grade E or above
- Basic IT skills