Pearson BTEC Level 4 HNC Higher National Certificate in Computing (RQF)Course Code: Learning Aim Code: Full-time / Part-time: Full-time Duration: One year Campus: Wellington Road campus
Is this the right course for me?
Are you passionate about computing and computer technology?
Are you keen to learn more about database technologies, networking, programming, network security and software development?
If so, this course is the one for you!
You will have the opportunity to develop your practical skills and knowledge and gaining the HNC qualification will enable you to progress to university.>p>We have excellent retention and achievement rate with excellent feedback from our previous students, many of whom have gone on to become lecturers, network technicians, web developers, games programmers, database developers, or opened their own businesses.
You will enhance your learning by haring from guest speakers from organisations - recent guests have included IBM and Void games – as well as visiting the British Computer Museum at Bletchley Park, as well as finding out how computers are used at Alton Towers or Drayton Manor Park.
What will I learn?
During the course you will study the following modules:
- Professional practice
- Database design and development
- Security Managing a successful computing project
- Computer systems architecture
- Software development life cycle
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will:
- Develop your creative, practical and professional computing skills Learn specialised studies and techniques, and gain experience and underpinning knowledge relevant to the area of computing and IT that you currently work in or intend to work in in the future
- Learn flexible and transferable skills in sector-related disciplines as a basis for future studies and career development
- Develop a range of interpersonal skills essential for success in your working life
- Achieve an educational foundation for a range of careers in the professional computing industry and allied sectors and have the ability to progress to undergraduate degree study
How will I be assessed?
This is an assignment based course so there are no exams. You will be continually assessed throughout the programme and assessment methods used could include:
- Portfolio of work
- Technical assessments (creating programs, databases, managing and securing networks)
- Tutor observation
- Group presentations
- Peer assessment
- Individual presentations
- Practical group work
- Witness testimonies
- Student-defined project via negotiated briefs
- Evaluative reports
- Reflective journals via Moodle, the college’s virtual learning environment
What can I do next?
The skills you will learn from this course will enable you to pursue a career in computer systems maintenance, systems analysis and design, networking, network security, programming and database development. HNCs are designed to give you the practical, vocational skills of a particular field of work which can then lead straight to a career. You can also use the qualifications to progress within your current career, for example as a stepping stone to gaining professional status. Once you complete and pass your course you can progress on to university.
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access this course you are required to have:
- Completed a full Level 3 qualification in a computing-related area - this could be an A in Computing or a BTEC National Extended Diploma in ICT
- Maths and English GCSE (or equivalent) at Grade C or above Consideration will also be given to:
- Employees with a Level 3 modern apprenticeship
- Applicants with an Access to Higher Education qualification
- Mature applicants who work/have worked in IT and /or computing and is assessed as being able to study at this level.