Computing: Smarter Technologies HND (BTEC HND Diploma in Computing and Systems Development (QCF))Course Code: COMHD Learning Aim Code: 5008253X Full-time / Part-time: Full-time Duration: Two Years Campus: Wellington Road Campus
Is this the right course for me?
Are you passionate about games development, animation, digital graphics or computer systems, programming or networking? Then this course is right for you!
By studying this course you will have the opportunity to develop your practical skills and knowledge in the following areas: e-commerce, games software development, installing hardware and software, networking, programming, data analysis and design, animation, network security, and project planning.
You will also gain industry experience during a work placement and successful completion of the course will give you the Level 5 qualification required to progress onto the final year of an Honours Degree.
We have a high achievement rate on this course and excellent feedback from our past students, some of whom have gone on to become graphic designers, web designers, programmers, computer technicians and IT teachers.
While you are on the course you will benefit from enrichment activities to activities to enhance your learning. You may get to visit Bletchley Park and the NEC World Skills Show and will also have the opportunity to hear from guest speakers who are invited into college to talk to students about careers and career progression - recent guests have included representatives from IBM, Emma Reynolds MP, former MP Paul Uppal, a representative from the University of Wolverhampton to talk about progression to university, and White Ribbons as part of Road Safety and Alcohol Awareness Week.
This is a two-year full-time course.
What will I learn?
During this course you will study:
- Business skills for e-commerce
- Computer systems
- Employability and professional development
- Project design, implementation and evaluation
- Procedural programming
- Java programming
- Website design
- Data analysis and design
- Networking technologies
- Web applications development
- 3D computer modelling and animation
- IT security management
- Programming in .net
- Work-based experience
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will:
- Understand the attributes of employees that are valued by employees
- Learn the components of computer systems
- Find out about how projects are managed
- Understand the features of relational databases
- Understand the fundamentals of cascading style sheets (CSS)
- Learn about web architecture and components
- Find out about the principles of game design and development
- Understand the impact of potential threats to IT systems
- Know the technologies required for an e-commerce system
- Understand the communication principles of computer networks
- Understand the features of programming in different languages
- Know how to create 3D models and animate them
- Know the types and sources of network attacks
How will I be assessed?
This is an assignment-based course. All units are graded as Pass, Merit or Distinction. You will be continually assessed throughout the programme either through assessment or observation. There are no exams.
What can I do next?
The skills you will learn from this course will enable you to:
- Progress on to a degree top up program at most universities in areas such as computing, games development, web design, networking, networking security, digital media or software engineering
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access this course you are required to have:
- Four GCSEs at grade C or above, which must include maths, English
- A full Level 3 qualification in a computing related area
- You must be aged 18 or above to study a HNC/D qualification
- Alternatively you must be an employee with a modern apprenticeship at Level 3, have an Access to H.E. certificate or be a mature person who has worked in IT and /or computing and who has been assessed as being able to study at this level