Design & Make Jewellery Level 1 Award: Art, Design & MediaCourse Code: DMJAW Learning Aim Code: 60132668 Full-time / Part-time: Part-time Duration: 15 weeks Campus: Paget Road campus
Is this the right course for me?
Whether you are a jewellery making beginner or an aspiring jeweller who would like to increase your skills we have classes that can suit all levels of ability. Throughout the course you will learn a variety of jewellery making techniques and skills including soldering, shaping, cutting, texturing metal and polishing, culminating in you creating your own pieces of customised creatively inspired jewellery.
The course is accredited by the University of the Arts London Awarding Body (UAL). City of Wolverhampton College is the only college in the Black Country, and one of only a few in the Midlands, to be accredited and offer qualifications from University of Arts London. UAL is a specialist awarding body offering up-to-date qualifications in the creative industries with an emphasis on art, design and communication. It is owned by, and based within, University of the Arts London.
What will I learn?
During this course you will learn:
- Small scale metalwork
- Jewellery making
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will:
- Gain skills and knowledge in silversmithing, small scale metalwork and jewellery making
- Explore a variety of materials and resources to develop design techniques
- Learn how to form, solder and texture metal
- Learn a variety of skills including stone setting
- Find out how to apply your new skills and creativity to a professional level. This will include budgeting, pricing and developing skills within the creative industry to prosper from your work
How will I be assessed?
This is an assignment based course so there are no exams. You will be continually assessed throughout the programme.
What can I do next?
The skills you will learn from this course will enable you to pursue further study in the Art & Design subject area. It will also provide a taster for those who are considering this area as a career / vocation.
What are the Entry Requirements?
Students need to have Level 2 in Literacy and a Level 1 in their chosen area or some experience / knowledge of Arts and Crafts.