Fashion & Textiles Design Diploma/Extended Diploma Level 3 – University of Arts London Awarding BodyCourse Code: FTXDP Learning Aim Code: 6002820 Full-time / Part-time: Full-time Duration: Two years Campus: Paget Road campus
Is this the right course for me?
If you are looking for a career in fashion and designing clothes and textiles, then this course will enable you to acquire the skills and knowledge to pursue a career in the industry.
You will explore your creativity through a range of projects related to the core skills for working in fashion including design, materials, surface decoration, garment production and visual presentation. You will produce a collection designed by you together with a portfolio of your designs enabling you to apply for University and follow your career.
The course is accredited by the University of the Arts London Awarding Body (UAL). City of Wolverhampton College is the only college in the Black Country, and one of only a few in the Midlands, to be accredited and offer qualifications from University of Arts London. UAL is a specialist awarding body offering up-to-date qualifications in the creative industries. It is owned by, and based within, University of the Arts London.
You will begin your first year of study on our University of Arts London Awarding Body (UAL) L3 Diploma and then once successfully completed you will progress to your 2nd year on the L3 Extended Diploma, which is equivalent to three A Levels. This is a practical, work-related course. You learn by completing projects and assignments that are based on realistic workplace situations, activities and demands. As well as learning about the employment area you have chosen, you develop the skills you need to start your career.
What will I learn?
During this course you will study:
- Understanding materials
- Pattern Construction
- Garment Production
- Production Techniques
- Surface decoration
- Printed Textiles
- Fashion illustration
- Fashion Photography
- Fashion history, trends and icons
- Garment presentation / visual merchandising
- Ecommerce / freelancing
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will be:
- Part of a programme of study that has excellent pass rates
- Taught by our enthusiastic, experienced and talented Fashion and Textiles lecturing team
- Learning in a range of dedicated studios including Fashion, Print Making, Graphics and 3D
- Have the opportunity to use a wide range of artist and studio equipment, software and cameras
- Understanding how all of the skills you are learning can be applied in the industry
- Improving your knowledge of what Art and Design industry opportunities are available
- Gaining valuable team working and communication skills
- Improving your employability skills
- Learning in a Creative Arts Department awarded ‘Arts Mark Gold’ by Arts Council England for the level and quality of our education provision in creative industries
How will I be assessed?
The course is project/assignment based and assessment is continuous throughout the year both in lessons, set work and through observations. Each unit will be assessed and awarded with a final grade of pass, merit or distinction. Some units may be subject to external assessment.
What can I do next?
The skills you will learn from this course will enable you to begin to pursue a career in;
- Fashion Designer
- Footwear Designer
- Accessory Designer
- Technical Designers
- Interior Designer
- Textile Designer
- Pattern Maker
- Pattern Grader
- Quality Control Specialist
- Fashion planner
- Fashion Buyer/ Retail Merchandiser
- Visual Merchandiser
- Showroom Sales Specialist
- Retail Store Manager/ Boutique Owner
- Fashion Writer
- Personal Stylists in Personal Styling
- Fashion event Management/ Public Relations
After you have successfully completed this course you can progress on to our University of Arts London Foundation Diploma in Art and Design, our HND course within college, a University Degree or employment.
What are the Entry Requirements?
Five or more GCSEs at grade C or above. You will be asked to come for an interview and you will be expected to demonstrate your interest, enthusiasm and commitment to undertaking an Art and Design course at this level by presenting a selection of recent Art and Design work.