Games Design Certificate Level 2 – University of Arts London Awarding BodyCourse Code: GD2DP Learning Aim Code: 60101672 Full-time / Part-time: Full-time Duration: One Year Campus: Paget Road Campus
Is this the right course for me?
Video and mobile gaming is the fastest growing creative industry worldwide. On our one year full-time Level 2 Games Design Course, which is one of the only Level 2 games courses in the region, you will learn about the key elements of games development and gain insight into the industry you want to be part of.
You will learn how to produce game concepts, associated digital artwork and develop a 2D game capable of running on PC and mobile devices. You will be able to create characters for games, promote your own work and understand the underlying need for narrative and storytelling. You will also develop digital design skills using a host of creative software packages.
You'll train in our dedicated facilities. All tutors are active within the industry and have a wealth of knowledge and experience to call upon enabling you the best opportunity to progress in your chosen career.
As part of the National Skills Academy for Creative and Culture we pride ourselves as being at the forefront of education and training for the ever changing games industry. Linking with local games companies such as Void Games and hosting a range of guest speakers allows all learners to gain current and relevant training which gives them not just a qualification, but the experience in the career they wish to pursue.
Arts Council England has endorsed the quality of our teaching and learning and links with employers by awarding us ‘Arts Mark Gold’.
The course is accredited by the University of the Arts London Awarding Body (UAL). City of Wolverhampton College is the only college in the Black Country, and one of only a few in the Midlands, to be accredited and offer qualifications from University of Arts London. UAL is a specialist awarding body offering up-to-date qualifications in the creative industries. It is owned by, and based within, University of the Arts London.
What will I learn?
During this course you will study:
- 2D games design
- Digital graphics
- Game audio development
- Concept art
- Game story development
- 2D computer games engines
- Games industry
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will:
- Be part of a programme of study that has excellent pass rates
- Be taught by our enthusiastic, experienced and talented games lecturing team
- Work on briefs set by actual games companies
- Have the opportunity to use a wide range industry software and equipment
- Apply techniques to research, develop and design concepts which will then be applied to your game
- Hear from industry professionals
- Improve your knowledge of what games industry opportunities are available
- Gain valuable team working and communication skills
- Improve your employability skills
How will I be assessed?
The course is project/assignment based and assessment is continuous throughout the year both in lessons, set work and through observations. This could take the form of written work, as well as recorded observations/discussions, presentations and concept art/sketch books. Each unit will be assessed and awarded with a final grade of pass, merit or distinction. Some units may be subject to external assessment.
What can I do next?
The skills you will learn from this course will enable you to:
- Pursue a career in games programming and development, 2D animation, concept art, games production, marketing, games level design, story and character development
- Progress on to our BTEC L3 90 Credit Diploma in Games Development
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access this course you are required to have:
- Four or more GCSESs at Grade E or above, preferably including English
- A sketch book which demonstrates your current drawing ability using a variety of techniques
- You will also have an interview