Games Design HNDCourse Code: GDEHD Learning Aim Code: 50097441 Full-time / Part-time: Full-time Duration: Two Years Campus: Paget Road Campus
Is this the right course for me?
The games industry is the most rapidly-expanding sector of the UK creative industries. As a result it is now a multi-billion pound industry that offers many opportunities. On our Higher National Diploma (HND) in Games Development course you can build on your current knowledge and skills and continue the progress into your dream career. This programme allows learners to further develop skills in Game Design and Development both from a creative and a technical perspective. There are strong links to theories and practice which will allow learners to develop industry skills required by this sector.
The programme offers a balance of creative practice and technical disciplines ranging from Concept Art to Level Design and 3D Environment Creation. You will gain a thorough insight into how the game industry is structured and how it works. The programme has been developed by a group of qualified and vocationally experienced tutors who have worked in the creative sector. With close links to the games industry, learners will also have the opportunity to communicate with industry professionals by means of guest lectures and practical work experience with Games design companies.
HNDs are designed to give you the practical, vocational skills of a particular field of work which can then lead straight to a career. You can also use the qualifications to progress within your current career, for example as a stepping stone to gaining professional status. Once you complete your course, HNDs can allow entry into the second or third year of a degree.
What will I learn?
During this course you will study:
- Computer Games Design and Development
- 3D Modelling and Animation
- 3D Environment and Level Creation
- Digital Image Creation and Development
- Human Computer Interaction
- Digital Media in Design and Concept
- Story and Character Development
- Concept Art
- Visual Programming for Games
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will:
- Gain skills that are useful in both the games development industry and other software careers
- Gain a nationally recognised qualification which in turn will provide you with transferable knowledge and skills that cover many disciplines within the game design and creative media industries
- You will also have the opportunity to take part in a period of work experience with industry contacts
How will I be assessed?
This is an assignment based course so there are no exams. You will be continually assessed throughout the programme.
What can I do next?
The skills you will learn from this course will enable you to:
- Pursue a career in games programming and development, games animation, games production, concept art, marketing, games level design, graphic design or web development.
- Top-up to a BSc (Hons) Games Design at the University of Wolverhampton or a similar university that offers that qualification
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access this course you are required to have:
- Two A Levels or a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma
- Good written and oral English and a keen interest in games design
- An Art and Design qualification is also preferable due to the quantity of 2D and 3D design work on the course
- An interview offering the chance to see our facilities
- You will also need to present a portfolio of samples of relevant artwork and designs which you have created. This is a visual representation of your interests, skills, works in progress and final pieces. This will most often be in the form of sketchbooks, although digital work can also be shown if you bring along a CD or laptop
- You must be aged 18 or above to study a HNC/D qualification