Games Design Diploma/Extended Diploma Level 3 – University of Arts London Awarding BodyCourse Code: GD3DP Learning Aim Code: 60064456 Full-time / Part-time: Full-time Duration: One-Two Years Campus: Paget Road Campus
Is this the right course for me?
Video and mobile gaming is the fastest growing creative industry worldwide. We have the course to start you on the first steps to your games career. On our full-time Level 3 Games Design course, one of only a few games courses in the region, you will learn about the key elements of games development and gain insight into the industry you want to be part of.
You will begin your first year of study on the University of Arts London (UAL) Level 3 Diploma and then once successfully completed you will progress to your second year on the Level 3 Extended Diploma, which is equivalent to three A Levels. This is a practical, work-related course and you will learn by completing projects and assignments that are based on realistic workplace situations, activities and demands. As well as learning about the employment area you have chosen, you will develop the skills you need to start your career.
You will learn how to produce game concepts and stories, associated concept and digital artwork and develop games and environments in 3D. You will be able to create characters for games, sounds and effects for games, promote your own work and understand the underlying need for narrative and storytelling. You will also develop digital design skills using a host of creative software packages including 3DS Max, Unreal 4 and Adobe Photoshop as well as virtual reality on Oculus Rift.
The course is accredited by the University of the Arts London Awarding Body (UAL). City of Wolverhampton College is the only college in the Black Country, and one of only a few in the Midlands, to be accredited and offer qualifications from University of Arts London. UAL is a specialist awarding body offering up-to-date qualifications in the creative industries. It is owned by, and based within, University of the Arts London.
What will I learn?
During this course you will study:
- Games design
- Platform technology
- Game audio development
- Concept art
- Digital graphics
- 3D animation
- Character and environment creation
- Story development
- Promotional material and marketing of games
- 2D and 3D computer games engines
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will:
- Be part of a programme of study that has excellent pass rates
- Be taught by our enthusiastic, experienced and talented games lecturing team
- Work on briefs set by actual games companies
- Use a wide range industry software and equipment
- Apply techniques to research, develop and design concepts which will then be applied to your game
- Have opportunities for work experience and hear from industry professionals
- Improve your knowledge of what games industry opportunities are available
- Gain valuable team working and communication skills
- Undertake a work placement with local games companies
- Improve your employability skills
- Learn in a creative arts department awarded
How will I be assessed?
The course is project/assignment based and assessment is continuous throughout the year both in lessons, set work and through observations. Each unit will be assessed and awarded with a final grade of pass, merit or distinction. Some units may be subject to external assessment.
What can I do next?
The skills you will learn from this course will enable you to:
- Pursue a career in games programming and development, games animation, games production, concept art, marketing, games level design or web development and graphic design
- Progress on to our HND in Games Development, a university degree or employment
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access this course you are required to have:
- Five or more GCSEs at Grade C or above. English, maths and an art-based qualification are desirable
- You will also have an interview