Graphic Design HNDCourse Code: GRDHD Learning Aim Code: 50092212 Full-time / Part-time: Full -time Duration: Two years Campus: Paget Road campus
Is this the right course for me?
The BTEC Level 4/5 Higher National Diploma (HND) in Graphic Design offers those who want a career in the creative sector the opportunity to explore graphic design and illustration through a range of digital and traditional methods.
The course covers areas such as illustration, publicity, branding, digital photography, web design, packaging, corporate identity and editorial design. The first year of the programme focuses on live briefs and solving design problems using two and three-dimensional methods. The second year will have greater emphasis on commercial practice. Engagement in work placements, commercial projects and national competitions allow students the opportunity of experiencing work at industry level.
HNDs are designed to give you the practical, vocational skills of a particular field of work which can then lead straight to a career. You can also use the qualifications to progress within your current career, for example as a stepping stone to gaining professional status. Once you complete your course HNDs can allow entry into the second or third year.
You'll train in our dedicated facilities which include dedicated graphics and photography studios together with a range of classrooms and facilities on campus available to you including digital recording studios, TV Studios and editing suites. All tutors are active within the creative industry and have a wealth of knowledge and experience to call upon enabling you the best opportunity to progress in your chosen career.
As part of the National Skills Academy for Creative and Culture we pride ourselves as being at the forefront of education and training for the ever changing graphics industry. National bodies such as the Skills Academy allows all learners to gain current and relevant training which gives them not just a qualification but the experience in the career they wish to pursue. Arts Council England have endorsed the quality of our teaching and learning and links with employers by awarding us ‘Arts Mark Gold’.
What will I learn?
During this course you will study:
- Digital photography
- Web design
- Corporate identity
- Editorial design
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will:
- Develop the practical and creative skills required in preparation for work in the graphic design industry
- Improve your research and investigative skills
- Learn how to engage with complex and/or unpredictable situations in graphic design contexts
- Develop your judgement in relation to the margins and consequences of error
- Develop your skills in a practical work based environment
How will I be assessed?
This is an assignment based course so there are no exams. You will be continually assessed throughout the programme by a variety of methods including coursework, reports, case studies, essay, presentations and observations.
What can I do next?
The skills you will learn from this course will enable you to:
- Pursue a career as a 2D or 3D animator, an advertising artist, advertising illustrator, layout designer, illustrator, commercial designer, fashion illustrator, graphic artist / designer, interactive media designer, layout artist, package designer, page designer, sign designer or web designer - graphic design
- Progress on to a top up 3rd year of a university degree course, based upon the entry requirements of the university you apply to
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access this course you are required to have:
- 2 A Levels or a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma
- Good written and oral English and have evidence of interest / involvement in the creative / Art and Design industry
- You will be invited to an interview offering the chance to see our facilities
- Entry is based on academic qualifications and reference