Hair & Beauty Diploma Level 1Course Code: HB1DP Learning Aim Code: 50063467 Full-time / Part-time: Full-time Duration: One Year Campus: Metro One campus
Is this the right course for me?
If you’re passionate about hair & beauty and want to work in the industry the City and Guilds Level 1 Diploma will teach you the practical and theory skills you need to become a Level 1 qualified hair and beauty therapist.
You will gain skills in a range of areas including skin care, make-up, temporary colouring and styling women’s hair, as well as important customer service and communication skills which will set you on the road to a successful career in the industry.
You will also benefit from a range of enrichment activities to develop your skills further – recent activities have included IBD Just Gel Polish and ear piercing – as well as showcasing your skills at college shows and events, and joining in activities organised by the Students’ Union.
What will I learn?
During this course you will study the following modules:
- Basic make-up application
- The art of photographic make-up
- Plaiting and twisting
- Skin care
- Creating a hair and beauty image
- Providing basic pedicure treatments
- Providing basic manicure treatments
- Presenting a professional image in the salon
- Working with others in the hair and beauty sector
- Introduction to the hair and beauty sector
- Health and safety in the salon
- Colour hair using a temporary colour
- Shampoo and conditioning
- Styling women’s hair
- Personal & social development
- Functional skills maths and English
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will:
- Develop skills to be able to perform specific hair and beauty-related services.
- Gain knowledge in anatomy and physiology relevant to various services.
- Develop customer care and communication skills to deal with enquiries, retail, consultation, complaints and all forms of client care.
How will I be assessed?
Throughout the course you will be assessed in the following ways:
- Continuous assessment of practical tasks
- Paper based tests to assess your knowledge and understanding
What can I do next?
Successful completion of the course will enable you to progress to a Level 2 Hair or Beauty qualification.
- Pursue a career in hair & beauty therapy and related industries
- Progress to a Level 2 Diploma in Beauty Therapy
- Progress to a Level 2 Diploma in Hairdressing
- Progress to a Level 2 Diploma in Hair and Beauty
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access this course you are required to have:
- Three or more GCSEs at grade G or above and a trade test