Health and Social Care First Award Level 2Course Code: SPFCE Learning Aim Code: 60157537 Full-time / Part-time: Part-time Duration: One Year Campus: Wellington Road campus
Is this the right course for me?
It is part time and in the evening so fits in with peoples busy schedules eg with work, family etc.
Whether you want to work in healthcare or social care the Level 2 Certificate in Health and Social Care will prepare you for a career in the profession and teach you the theory you need to succeed in your chosen area.
You will consider the role of care worker and your relationship with, and responsibilities towards, service users and the wider care sector. You will learn important communication skills and how to work as part of a team, as well as developing an understanding of legislation and health and safety in the workplace.
You will also develop skills in writing assignments and referencing your work which will be of use of you progress to a higher level of study.
On completion of the course you will be able to pursue a career in health and social care or progress to a higher level of study such as a Level 3 qualification, access to higher education programme, or university degree.
This is a 27 week part-time course.
What will I learn?
During this course you will study the following modules:
- Communication in health and social care
- Individual rights in health and social care
- Individual needs in health and social care
- Ensuring safe environments in health and social care
- Cultural Diversity
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will:
- Develop your understanding of the issues that need to be considered when working in health and social care environment within a multicultural society
- Learn investigative skills as you look at the many factors that contribute to a diverse and equal society
- Learn how to communicate effectively within a health and social care environment using different forms of communication, understanding barriers to communication and how to be able to communicate effectively
- Develop an appreciation for the needs of others’ health and wellbeing and how these needs may be addressed
- Learn about and how to safeguard individuals and ensure their rights are met
- Understand how legislation in health and social care environments is applied to develop a knowledge of how to minimize hazards and risks
- Gain valuable team working and communication skills by taking part in whole class and small group discussions and presentations
- Understand infection control, relevant legislation and current practice
- Learn how to take some physiological measurements
- Learn how to write assignments and reference work
- Improve your time management and organisational skills
- Develop your confidence in IT and English
How will I be assessed?
You will be continually assessed throughout the programme by way of project work, assignments, peer assessments, case studies and workbooks.
What can I do next?
The skills you learn on this course will enable you to progress to:
- A job as a care worker
- Level 3 programmes in Health and Social Care
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access this course you are required to have:
- Four or more GCSEs at Grade E or above including English, or successful completion of a full level 1 study programme
- You will also be expected to attend a college interview and complete an assessment of your literacy skills
- You will also be required to dedicate four-to-eight hours per week to home study throughout the duration of the course