Hospitality & Catering Management HNC/HND (BTEC HNC/HND Diploma in Hospitality Management (QCF))Course Code: HSYHC Learning Aim Code: 50082450 Full-time / Part-time: Full-time Duration: Two years - Year one HNC / Year two HND Campus: Metro One campus
Is this the right course for me?
If you want to have a management position in the hospitality industry or own or run your own restaurant or catering- related business the HNC/HND diploma in hospitality management will give you skills and knowledge for success.
You will gain an understanding of the hospitality industry and the importance of finance, marketing and customer service, as well as menu planning and preparing and cooking dishes from different regions across the world.
The course is run over two years – in the first year you will complete the HNC diploma and in the second year you will consolidate your learning and develop your skills and knowledge further by studying modules in more depth which will lead to the full HND qualification.
You will be expected to be in college two full days each week and to undertake a significant amount of private study, as well as completing a research project.
What will I learn?
During the course you will study the following modules:
- The contemporary hospitality industry
- Finance in the hospitality industry
- Customer service
- Marketing in hospitality
- Conferencing and banqueting management
- Menu planning and product development
- Food and beverage operations management
- World food
What skills will I gain?
During the course you will:
- Gain an understanding of the nature and diversity of the hospitality industry and range of career opportunities
- Develop accounting techniques to control costs and profits
- Develop your knowledge and skills in customer service
- Gain an understanding of the role of marketing in the hospitality industry
- Gain an understanding of the operational issues that affect the success of the conference and banqueting sector
- Develop skills in menu planning and related product development
- Gain an understanding of day-to-day activities and procedures involved in food and beverage operation
- Learn about the multicultural influences and key determinants that contribute to international cuisine
- Develop skills in preparing and cooking dishes from different world regions
How will I be assessed?
This is an assignment based course so there are no exams.
You will be continually assessed throughout the course through assignments, reports, projects, case studies and group work.
What can I do next?
The skills you will learn from this course will enable you to:
- Pursue a career in the hospitality and catering industry
- On completion of the HNC qualification in the first year, progress to an HND in the second year
- Continue your learning with a further professional qualification or undergraduate degree in a related subject
- Level 3 qualification in a related subject such as professional cookery skills, professional bakery skills or food and beverage service
- GCSE maths and English at grade C or above
What are the Entry Requirements?
As this is a higher education qualification you are required to be over 18 years of age and have the following qualifications:
- Mature students with no qualifications but with relevant work/hobby experience will be considered
- Non-EU students are required to have an IELTS or equivalent university qualification