Hospitality Diploma in Industry Skills FDQ Level 1Course Code: FO1DP Learning Aim Code: 60102391 Full-time / Part-time: Full-time Duration: One Year Campus: Metro One Campus
Is this the right course for me?
If you fancy a career in the hospitality and catering industry but aren’t quite sure which route to choose this new course will teach you basic skills in cookery, bakery and front of house service, following which you can decide which are of the industry you want to specialise in and progress to a further qualification in this area.
You need to be 16 years old or over to take this qualification.
The qualification assesses and recognises achievement within a learning environment.
You will study at our modern Metro One campus in the city centre which is equipped with an industry-standard training kitchen and bakery and popular licensed restaurant which is open to the public for lunch and dinner during term time.
You will also have access to a range of support services provided by the college – such as careers advice and guidance, financial support and additional learning support, as well as the Students’ Union which organises trips and activities throughout the year.
What will I learn?
During the course you will study the following modules:
- Receiving and storing food products
- Mixing and shaping
- Maintaining quality of food products
- Finishing products
- Food safety
- Planning for a career in the food industry
- Problem solving
- Effective communication
- Time management
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will gain practical skills and knowledge in the following areas:
- Mixing, shaping, heating, cooling, finishing and presenting food products
- Hygiene, safety and quality
- Optional units covering the food industry and employability skills
- Work skills needed in the workplace
- Communication skills
- Working as part of a team
How will I be assessed?
What can I do next?
The skills you will learn on this Level 1 course will enable you to progress to the following hospitality and catering courses:
- Level 2 Diploma in Professional Bakery
- Level 2 Diploma in Professional Butchery
- Level 2 Professional Cookery
- Level 2 Patisserie and Confectionery
- Level 2 Food and Beverage
What are the Entry Requirements?
To enrol for the course you are required to have:
- Three or more GCSEs at grade E or above.