IMI Diploma in Motor Vehicle Level 1Course Code: VE1DP Learning Aim Code: 60028063 Full-time / Part-time: Full-time Duration: One Year Campus: Paget Road
Is this the right course for me?
Get on the road to a great career in the motor vehicle industry with the Level 1 Diploma in Motor Vehicle. This pre-apprenticeship programme will develop your skills and knowledge in a range of areas and give you a multi-skilled qualification which will enable you to progress to a higher level qualification or an apprenticeship in the area that interests you the most. You will learn skills in light vehicle service and repair, vehicle body repair, vehicle body refinishing, valeting and vehicle construction and use your skills in a realistic working environment in our modern industry-standard workshop.
What will I learn?
During the course you will study the following modules:
- Workshop safety inspection Use of tools and equipment
- Petrol engine head removal and refit
- Petrol engine component identification
- Diesel engine head removal and refit
- Disel engine component identification
- Cooling systems component identification and replacement
- Lubrication system component identification and replacement
- Steering adjustment/replacement
- Steering component identification
- Suspension component identification and replacement
- Brake component identification and replacement
- Wheels and tyres practical and theory
- Routine maintenance
- Minor bodywork repair
- Panel identification
- Preparation and paint panel
- Wiring and testing a simple electric circuit
- Prepare and flat primed panel
- Substart identification
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will:
- Learn about the motor vehicle industry
- Gain an understanding of the principles and procedures for carrying out basic vehicle checks and repairs
- Improve your skills in vehicle valeting
- Learn the basic principles of vehicle construction
- Find out how engines and components operate
- Learn about maintenance and the use of tools
- Gain skills in the removal and refitting of body panels
- Learn basic vehicle body repairs such as filler repairs and painting techniques
- Find out about health and safety
How will I be assessed?
Throughout the course you will be assessed through observation of practical tasks, written assessments, assignments, research and on-line tests.
What can I do next?
Succesful completion of the course will enable you to:
- Progress to the Level 1 Diploma in Vehicle Technology
- Pursue an apprenticeship in the motor vehicle industry
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access this course you will be required to:
- Three or more GCSEs at grade G or above
- Attend an interview at the college
- Complete an online assessment to determine your current skills and knowledge