IMI Diploma in Vehicle Refinishing Level 2Course Code: VP2DP Learning Aim Code: 50098214 Full-time / Part-time: Part-time Duration: Two Years Campus: Paget Road campus
Is this the right course for me?
If you are working in the motor vehicle industry and want to become a vehicle body and paint operator in a body shop, the Level 2 course will give you the skills and knowledge to work on a wide range of vehicles in all types of garages, dealerships and specialist body and paint businesses.
You will learn basic workshop skills and how to identify and rectify paint defects, use garage equipment and repair and replace vehicle parts.
Completion of the course will enable you to get a job in a body shop, pursue an apprenticeship or progress to a Level 3 qualification.
What will I learn?
During the course you will study the following modules:
- Use of refinishing tools and equipment
- Use of technical information to to mix and apply etch primer
- Use of technical information to mix foundation materials
- Apply and cure foundation materials
- Prepare surface to receive foundation materials
- Identify and rectify paint defects
- Repair and replace non-permanantly fixed wings and doors, bonnets, boot lids and tailgates
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will:
- Learn about full vehicle body refinishing systems
- Gain an understanding of the various advanced paint application techniques
- Understand and rectify paint faults
- Learn about the health and safety associated with running/working in a body repair workshop
- Improve your customer service skills
How will I be assessed?
Throughout the course you will be assessed in the following ways:
- Observation in practical sessions
- Written assessments
- On-line tests
What can I do next?
Successful completion of the course will enable you to:
- Progress in your career as a body repair technician in a body repair shop
- Progress to a higher level qualification in a related subject
- Pursue an apprenticeship in the motor vehicle industry
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access this course you are required to have:
- Four or more GCSESs at Grade E or above, OR
- Level 1 motor vehicle qualification
- Suitable industry experience
- College interview/assessment