IMI Diploma in Vehicle Refinishing Level 3Course Code: VP3DP Learning Aim Code: 50096886 Full-time / Part-time: Full-time or Part-time Duration: One Year Campus: Paget Road campus
Is this the right course for me?
The Level 3 Diploma in Vehicle Refinishing will give you the technical skills and essential knowledge needed to become a vehicle body and paint operator working on a wide range of vehicles in all types of garages, dealerships and specialist body and paint businesses.
You will learn how to identify and rectify paint defects and faults, mix and match paint colours, and carry out complete refinishing operations, as well as a broad knowledge and understanding of health and safety in the workplace and other skills associated with working in a garage.
On completion of the course you will be able to enter the industry as a vehicle body refinisher or progress onto a Level 4 motor vehicle management qualification.
What will I learn?
During the course you will study the following modules:
- Use of refinishing tools and equipment
- Prepare and prime plastic component
- Prepare and apply top coat to plastic component
- Prepare surface to receive foundation materials
- Rectify paint defect
- Perform a complete refinishing operation
- Mix and match non-metallic
- Mix and match metallic or mica
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will:
- Learn about full vehicle body refinishing systems
- Gain an understanding of the various advanced paint application techniques
- Understand and rectify paint faults
- Learn about the health and safety associated with running/working in a body repair workshop
- Improve your customer service skills
How will I be assessed?
Throughout the course you will be assessed through observation in practical sessions, written assessments, assignments, research and n-line tests.
What can I do next?
Successful completion of the course will enable you to:
- Enter the industry as a vehicle body refinisher
- Progress onto a Level 4 motor vehicle management qualification
- Move on to an advanced apprenticeship
- Start your own SMART repair business
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access this course you are required to have:
- Four or more GCSEs at Grade C or above including English or maths (specified which for some courses) OR
- A relevant Level 2 motor vehicle qualification OR
- Suitable industry experience
- College interview/assessment