IMI Diploma in Vehicle Technology Entry LevelCourse Code: VEEDP Learning Aim Code: 50105486 Full-time / Part-time: Full-time Duration: One Year Campus: Paget Road campus
Is this the right course for me?
Kick start your career in the motor vehicle industry with our entry-level Diploma in Vehicle Technology.
This practical-based pre-apprenticeship programme will give you a broad understanding of skills across a range of specialisms including light vehicle service and repair, body repair techniques, body re-finishing and vehicle construction, as well as the use of tools and equipment and the importance of health and safety in the workplace.
On successful completion of the course you will be able to progress to a Level 1 Diploma in Vehicle Technology or apply for an apprenticeship in the motor vehicle industry.
What will I learn?
During the course you will study the following modules:
- Introduction to the automotive industry
- Introduction to workshop tools
- Engine components
- Steering and suspension
- Simple body repair
- Component fitting
- Cooling and lubrication
- Braking systems
- Vehicle checks
- Light vehicle construction
- Motorcycle construction
- El15 motorcycle checks
- Lighting systems
- Simple spraying
- Introduction to fuel systems
- Vehicle maintenance
- Spark ignition maintenance
- Health and safety
What skills will I gain?
During the course you will:
- Gain a basic understanding of the motor vehicle industry
- Develop knowledge of how to carry out basic vehicle checks & repairs
- Learn how to carry out vehicle valeting
- Learn the basic principles of vehicle construction
- Gain knowledge of how engines work
- Understand the use and maintenance of tools
- Gain an understanding of the importance of health and safety in the workplace
How will I be assessed?
Throughout the course you will be assessed in the following through observation in practical sessions, written assessments, assignments, research and on-line tests.
What can I do next?
Successful completion of the course will enable you to:
- Progress to the Level 1 Diploma in Vehicle Technology
- Pursue an apprenticeship in the motor vehicle industry
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access this course you will be required to:
- Attend an interview at the college
- Complete an online assessment to determine your current skills and knowledge
- College interview/assessment