Jewellery Design and Silversmithing HNDCourse Code: JDSHD Learning Aim Code: 50092212 Full-time / Part-time: Full-time Duration: Two years Campus: Paget Road campus
Is this the right course for me?
Our HND in Jewellery Design and Silversmithing will ensure you have the skills to enable you to work to a high level of professional craft in this competitive industry. Based on live briefs and projects which will combine design skills with workshop practice, you will produce contemporary pieces for commercial sale or exhibition.
HNDs are designed to give you the practical, vocational skills of a particular field of work which can then lead straight to a career. You can also use the qualifications to progress within your current career, for example as a stepping stone to gaining professional status. Once you complete your course HNDs can allow entry into the second or third year.
What will I learn?
During this course you will study:
- Designing jewellery
- Manufacturing techniques
- Rub-over setting techniques
- Claw setting technique
- Advanced manufacturing techniques
- Responding to briefs
- CAD: 3D modelling
- Working freelance
- Business practice and marketing
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will:
- Develop the practical and creative skills required in preparation for work in the jewellery industry
- Be equipped with the knowledge, confidence, understanding and skills required for success in your future employment
- Acquire the technical knowledge to create individual jewellery designs using a range of manufacturing techniques
- Learn about the tools, materials and processes used for the manufacture of jewellery and larger scale functional objects
- Find out about current day technologies used for manufacturing within the jewellery and silversmithing industry
How will I be assessed?
This is an assignment based course so there are no exams. You will be continually assessed throughout the programme by a variety of methods including coursework, reports, case studies, essay, presentations and observations.
What can I do next?
Completion of this course will enable you to:
- Move into employment or work as a self-employed jewellery designer / maker
- Progress on to a top up 3rd year of a university degree course, based upon the entry requirements of the university you apply to
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access this course you are required to have:
- 2 A-levels or a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma
- Good written and oral English and have evidence of interest / involvement in the creative / Art and Design industry
- You will be invited to an interview offering the chance to see our facilities
- Entry is based on academic qualifications and reference