Manufacturing Engineering BTEC Extended Diploma Level 3Course Code: MFAED Learning Aim Code: 5007314X Full-time / Part-time: Full-time Duration: One Year Campus: Paget Road campus
Is this the right course for me?
If you enjoy engineering and want to further your knowledge and understanding of the theory behind principles used in the industry, or want to progress to gain a higher level qualification such as a HNC, HND or degree, this course will develop your skills in a range of specialist areas such as mechanical principles and applications, business principles, technical information and programmable logic controllers (PLCs).
This Level 3 pre-apprenticeship programme is mainly an academic theory-based programme and you will learn by applying your knowledge to analyse and find solutions to a range of industry-based situations that occur in a real working environment.
Completion of the course will enable you to enter the engineering industry working in areas such as product manufacturing, quality control etc, pursue an engineering apprenticeship or progress to a higher education qualification.
We have a state-of-the-art modern engineering workshop equipped with a range of industry-standard equipment including millers, lathes, CNC tooling and laser cutters, as well as fabrication and welding equipment such as Tig, Mig and Arc welders and CAD suites.
Throughout the course you will have the opportunity to take part in a range of additional activities to enhance your learning such as industry visits, hearing from inspirational speakers, taking part in fundraising events and showcasing your talents in competitions such as the prestigious WorldSkills UK competition.
This is a one year full-time course and, as part of your studies you will also need to undertake 30 hours work experience.
What will I learn?
During the course you will study the following modules:
li>Communications for engineering technicians
- Engineering project
- Further mechanical principles and applications
- Selecting and using programmable controllers
- Commercial aspects
- Welding technology
- Further mathematics for engineering technicians
- Applications of computer numerical control in engineering
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will:
- Gain an indepth understanding of business principles
- Understand the importance of team work in an industry environment
- Gain an understanding of computer systems used in the engineering industry
- Learn about the importance and application of business improvement techniques
How will I be assessed?
Throughout the course you will be assessed through observation of practical sessions, written assessments, assignments, research and on-line tests.
What can I do next?
Successful completion of the course will enable you to:
- Gain employment in the engineering industry in various roles such as a manufacturing engineer, maintenance engineer, product control etc
- Pursue an engineering apprenticeship
- Progress to a higher level engineering qualification such as a HNC, HND or university degree
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access this course you are required to have:
- BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Engineering
- Four or more GCSEs at Grade C including maths and English)
- An interview at the college and an online assessment based around engineering principles