Mechanical Engineering BTEC Diploma Level 2Course Code: ENGEC Learning Aim Code: 60066301 Full-time / Part-time: Full-time Duration: One Year Campus: Paget Road
Is this the right course for me?
If you want a career in the engineering industry as a maintenance engineer, mechanical engineer, welder or fabricator, this course will give you a more indepth knowledge of the industry and enable you to use them in a work environment.
The BTEC Level 2 pre-apprenticeship programme will develop your understanding of the theory behind engineering principles, engineering technology and technical information and the use of CAD, millers, lathes and fabrication and welding equipment in the industry.
You will learn through a combination of practical and classroom-based sessions and completion of the course will enable you to get an entry-level job in the industry as a metal fabricator or welder, pursue an engineering apprenticeship or progress to the BtEC Level 3 Diploma in Mechanical Engineering.
We have a state-of-the-art modern engineering workshop equipped with a range of industry-standard equipment including millers, lathes, CNC tooling and laser cutters, 3D and 2D CAD suites, along with fabrication and welding equipment such as Tig, Mig and Arc welders.
Throughout the course you will have the opportunity to take part in a range of additional activities to enhance your learning such as industry visits, hearing from inspirational speakers, taking part in fundraising events and showcasing your talents in competitions such as the prestigious WorldSkills UK competition.
This is a one year full-time course.
What will I learn?
During the course you will study the following modules:
- Mathematics for engineering technicians
- Applied electrical and mechanical science for engineering
- Interpreting and using engineering information
- Working safely and effectively
- Using computer aided drawing techniques
- Fabrication techniques and sheet metal work
- Selecting engineering materials
- Selecting and using secondary machining techniques to remove material
- Application of welding processes
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will:
- Gain further knowledge and understanding of basic metal working techniques
- Develop your skills in metal fabrication and joining techniques
- Understand the importance of health and safety in the workplace
- Develop your English and maths skills based around engineering principles
How will I be assessed?
Throughout the course you will be assessed through observation of practical sessions, written assessment, assignments, research and on-line testing.
What can I do next?
Successful completion of the course will enable you to:
- Get an entry-level job in the industry such as a sheet metal fabricator or welder
- Progress to the BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
- Gain an engineering apprenticeship
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access this course you are required to:
- Have four or more GCSESs at Grade E or above including maths and English, and preferably science
- Attend an interview at the college
- Complete an online assessment based around basic engineering principles