Mechanical Engineering BTEC Diploma Level 3Course Code: EGMDP Learning Aim Code: 60038883 Full-time / Part-time: Full-time or part-time Duration: One Year Campus: Paget Road campus
Is this the right course for me?
If you want to gain an indepth knowledge of engineering principles and how these are applied in the industry, the BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Mechanical Engineering will develop your understanding of materials, mechanical principles, engineering processes, hydraulics and pneumatics.
The pre-apprenticeship programme will cover essential topics relating to engineering technology and build on skills you learnt on the Level 2 programme.
Completion of the course will enable you to apply for a job as a CAD designer, materials engineer, manufacturing engineer, maintenance engineer, tool maker, fabricator, welder or machine operative. progress to an advanced engineering apprenticeship or study for a higher level engineering qualification.
We have a state-of-the-art modern engineering workshop equipped with a range of industry-standard equipment including millers, lathes, CNC tooling and laser cutters, as well as fabrication and welding equipment such as Tig, Mig and Arc welders and CAD suites.
Throughout the course you will have the opportunity to take part in a range of additional activities to enhance your learning such as industry visits, hearing from inspirational speakers, taking part in fundraising events and showcasing your talents in competitions such as the prestigious WorldSkills UK competition.
As part of the course you will also need to undertake 30 hours of work experience.
What will I learn?
During this course you will study the following modules:
- Mechanical principles and applications
- Mathematics for engineering technicians
- Properties and applications of engineering materials
- Computer aided drafting in engineering
- Electro, pneumatic and hydraulic systems and devices
- Engineering secondary and finishing techniques
- Health and safety in the engineering workplace
- Engineering primary forming processes
- Engineering drawing for technicians
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will:
- Develop your understanding of engineering principles
- Gain an indepth understanding of technical information and its application in a working environment
- Develop an appreciation of maintenance procedures in the engineering industry
- Learn how to apply theoretical knowledge to solve engineering problems
- Understand the relevance and implications of a range of engineering processes
How will I be assessed?
Throughout the course you will be assessed through observation or practical sessions, written assessments, assignments and research.
What can I do next?
Successful completion of the course will enable you to:
- Apply for a job in the engineering industry as a CAD designer, materials engineer, manufacturing engineer, maintenance engineer, tool maker, fabricator, welder or machine operative.
- Pursue an engineering apprenticeship
- Progress to a higher level engineering qualification such as the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Manufacturing Engineering
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access this course you are required to have:
- Relevant industry-related qualification such as a BTEC Level 2 Diploma in Engineering
- Four or more GCSEs at Grade C or above including maths and English, and preferably science
- An interview at college and an online assessment based around engineering principles