Performing Arts Diploma Level 3 – University of Arts London Awarding BodyCourse Code: PF3DP Learning Aim Code: 50068726 Full-time / Part-time: Full-time Duration: One Year Campus: Paget Road Campus
Is this the right course for me?
If acting, singing, dancing, or theatre production is your passion then you need to start your career at City of Wolverhampton College. From performing on stage, TV or film to dancing or choreography, there are so many career and progression opportunities in this exciting, dynamic and creative industry, all of which we will prepare you for while studying with us.
You will begin your first year of study on the University of Arts London Awarding Body (UAL) Diploma and then once successfully completed you will progress to your second year on the UAL Level 3 Extended Diploma, which is equivalent to three A Levels. The course specifically features skills in acting techniques, performing arts business, dance performance, musical theatre, performing with masks, storytelling, scriptwriting and improvisation.
All learners will have regular opportunities to perform as part of our performing arts showcases and acting shows throughout the year culminating in an end of year musical as well as working with industry partners such as Zoonation Dance Company, Wolverhampton Grand Theatre and Vamos. Grading is through regular assessment of coursework and practical work, as well as portfolio building.
The course is accredited by the University of the Arts London Awarding Body (UAL). City of Wolverhampton College is the only college in the Black Country, and one of only a few in the Midlands, to be accredited and offer qualifications from University of Arts London. UAL is a specialist awarding body offering up-to-date qualifications in the creative industries. It is owned by, and based within, University of the Arts London.
What will I learn?
During this course you will study:
- Performance workshop
- Performing arts business
- The historical context of performance
- Rehearsing for performance
- Performing to an audience
- Musical theatre performance
- Tap dance
- Variety of performance
- Auditions for actors
- Principles for acting
- Performing with masks
- Singing techniques for performance
- Dance performance
- Urban dance
- Jazz dance
- Developing movement skills
- Theatre in education
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will:
- Be part of a programme of study that has excellent pass rates
- Be taught by our enthusiastic, experienced and talented performing arts lecturing team
- Learn how to create character on stage
- Develop your overall self-confidence
- Work in groups to develop a performance
- Learn how to perform in musical theatre, or as a singer
- Learn how to develop and perform various dance styles
- Be able to create and utilise theatrical texts
- Work with Black Country Touring as a live promoter
- Improve your ability to discuss live productions and learn from theatre visits
- Understand how all of the skills you are learning can be applied in the industry
- Find out what performing arts opportunities are available
- Gain valuable team working and communication skills by taking part in various shows
- Improve your employability skills
- Learn in a Creative Arts Department awarded ‘Arts Mark Gold’ by Arts Council England for the level and quality of our education provision in creative industries
How will I be assessed?
The course is project/assignment based and assessment is continuous throughout the year both in lessons, set work and shows. Each unit will be assessed and awarded with a final grade of pass, merit or distinction. Some units may be subject to external assessment.
What can I do next?
The skills you will learn from this course will enable you to:
- Pursue a career in acting, performance, presenting, choreography, dancing, singing, theatre production or stage management
- Progress on to our HND in Performing Arts, university course or employment
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access this course you are required to have:
- Five or more GCSEs at Grade C or above
- You will also be asked for an interview and to perform an audition piece (chosen by you)