Personal Training (Gym Based Exercise) VTCT Diploma Level 3Course Code: PSTDP Learning Aim Code: 6014323X Full-time / Part-time: Full-time Duration: One year Campus: Wellington Road campus
Is this the right course for me?
If you work in, or want to work in, sport, leisure and recreation industry as a personal trainer specialising in, but not limited to, gym-based exercise, the full-time Level 3 Diploma in Personal Training (gym-based exercise) will enable you to develop the advanced professional skills and techniques and personal attributes to independently plan, deliver and evaluate physical activity programmes without direct supervision.
Whether you are already working as an instructor or are looking to build up a portfoio of your own clients, this technical level qualification is ideal for advanced instructors wanting to develop programmes which will bring about improvements in clients’ physical fitness and general health.
The programme is based on fitness National Occupational Standards and the qualification is recognised by the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs) as being fit for purpose for preparing learners for employment/self-employment as a personal trainer.
The qualification has been specifically designed for learners aged 16-19, however older learners would also benefit from this programme of study.
You will learn in a practical and realistic way, as well as completing work in the classroom, so it is important that you have a lively and enquiring mind and want to study a programme that is both active and enjoyable.
As well as learning to instruct you will also be required to take part in weekly fitness sessions to develop your own fitness levels.
We have an excellent success rate on this course and excellent feedback from our past students, many of whom have gone on to become personal trainers in local gyms, whilst others have used their skills to travel the world whilst working as personal trainers on cruise ships.
You will get the chance to visit exhibitions, gyms and attend fitness and instructing workshops, as well as take advantage of a range of activity sessions including kettlebell training, exercise to music, spin classes and boxercise.
What will I learn?
During the course you will study the following modules:
- Health, safety and welfare in a fitness environment
- Principles of exercise, fitness and health
- Know how to support clients who take part in exercise and physical activity
- Anatomy and physiology for exercise and health
- Programming personal training with clients
- Delivering personal training sessions
- Applying the principles of nutrition to a physical activity programme
As part of the course you will also complete a Functional Skills programme in and/or English or maths and develop your skills in speaking, listening, reading and writing, as well as the use of number, measurements, and data analysis.
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will gain an understanding of:
- Requirements for health, safety and security within a fitness environment
- Types of emergencies that can occur within a fitness environment
- Hazards and risks within a fitness environment
- Safeguarding children and vulnerable adults
- Effects of exercise on the main body systems and how they adapt to training
- Factors affecting health and skill-related fitness
- How the principles and variables of fitness can be applied in practice
- Special requirements associated with working with special populations
- Health benefits of physical activity and importance of healthy eating
- Importance of customer service within a fitness environment
- How to develop effective working relationships with clients
- Barriers to exercise and physical activity
- How various body systems relate to exercise and health
- How to prepare, plan and adapt safe and effective personal training programmes
- Principles of collecting client information
- Process of identifying and agreeing appropriate personal training goals with clients
- Communicating effectively with clients and supporting their goals
- Instruct and adapting exercise sessions safely and effectively
- Instructing and observing clients
- Principles of nutrition and relationship with physical activity and health
- Key guidelines and recommended national practice relating to nutrition
- Methods used to collect nutritional information
- Analysing and use this information to set nutritional goals for clients
How will I be assessed?
Throughout the course you will be assessed in the following ways:
- Individual and group presentation
- Case studies
- Question and answer sessions
- Producing display materials
- Observation of practical sessions
- Production of a portfolio of evidence / workpacks
What can I do next?
Successful completion of the course will enable you to:
- Progress to a Level 4 HNC/HND programme in sport
- Pursue a career as a personal fitness trainer in the health, fitness or leisure industry
- Join the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs)
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access the course you are required to have:
- Aged 16-18 - four or more GCSEs at grade D or above
- Aged 18 and above - you will be assessed based on your existing qualifications and prior experience
- Gym experience along with knowledge of anatomy and physiology is advantageous
You will also be required to attend an interview and an offer of a place on the course will be subject to satisfactory practical assessment, police declaration, CRB and the provision of suitable references.