Photography and Digital Imaging Diploma / Extended Diploma Level 3 – UAL Awarding BodyCourse Code: PH3DP Learning Aim Code: 60038901 Full-time / Part-time: Full-time Duration: One year or two years for the Extended Diploma Campus: Paget Road campus
Is this the right course for me?
The course will introduce new photographers and digital print artists to the potential of the photographic medium, support you in your progress and development as image-makers by instilling strong technical, conceptual and visual skills and expand your knowledge of both contemporary and historical photography and graphic artists.
Alongside specialist photography and digital imaging topics you will also work on projects that develop transferable skills that are relevant to all areas of creative arts and will prepare you for the next career step. Our tutors are practicing photographers and artists and bring current industry practice to the classroom.
The course is accredited by the University of the Arts London Awarding Body (UAL). City of Wolverhampton College is the only college in the Black Country, and one of only a few in the Midlands, to be accredited and offer qualifications from University of Arts London. UAL is a specialist awarding body offering up-to-date qualifications in the creative industries. It is owned by, and based within, University of the Arts London.
The course is taught through a range of approaches designed to provide you with the opportunity to develop your technical and conceptual skills.
We aim to provide you with an experience that balances the development of creativity with the technical skills involved in the creation of pieces of photographic and digital print work. Through our experienced tutors you will receive extensive guidance for application to higher level courses together with help to build a varied portfolio of work enable you to progress successfully.
What will I learn?
During this course you will study the following modules:
- Graphic image making
- Narrative image making
- Darkroom practice
- Studio techniques
- Location photography
- Experimental photography
- Professional practice in art & design
- Personal and professional development in art and design
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will:
- Develop your creative potential while improving your understanding of visual communication
- Learn how to use a wide range of artist and studio equipment, software and cameras
- Gain skills that can be applied in the industry, and learn what industry opportunities are available
- Gain valuable team working and communication skills
- Improve your employability skills
How will I be assessed?
The course is project/assignment based and assessment is continuous throughout the year both in lessons, set work and through observations. Each unit will be assessed and awarded with a final grade of pass, merit or distinction. Some units may be subject to external assessment.
What can I do next?
The skills you will learn from this course will enable you to:
- Pursue a career as a photographer, graphic designer, illustrator, fine artist, interior designer or concept artist
- Progress on to our Foundation Diploma in Art and Design, one of our HND’s in Photography or Art and Design, a university degree or employment
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access this course you are required to have:
- Four or more GCSEs at Grade C or above including English or maths or successful completion of a full Level 2 study programme in a related area
You will be asked to come for an interview and you will be expected to demonstrate your interest, enthusiasm and commitment to undertaking the course by presenting a selection of recent art and design or photography work.