Professional Bakery Skills FDQ Level 2Course Code: BK2DP Learning Aim Code: 60068656 Full-time / Part-time: Full-time Duration: One Year Campus: Metro One campus
Is this the right course for me?
Cook up a great career in the bakery profession with the Level 3 Professional Bakery Skills qualification. You will gain the skills and knowledge needed to become a professional baker, working with industry-standard ingredients and learning about the various ways in which bread, cakes, scones, muffins and pastry are made including mechanical dough development, bulk fermentation and many more.
You will get the chance to work with real customers and put your customer service skills to the test in our very own bakery shop and will also learn about the theoretical side of bakery such as food safety and health and safety.
Gaining the qualification will enable you to pursue a career in the bakery industry or progress to a higher level course.
We have an excellent success rate on this course and excellent feedback from our past students, some of whom have gone on to work in the bakery shops or the bakery department of supermarkets, whilst others have become managers of bakeries or bakery tutors.
What will I learn?
During this course you will study the following modules:
- Types of flour used in the baking industry
- Metering, weighing and storage of ingredients
- Yeast fermentation and its uses in the bakery
- Function of ingredients in the bakery
- Mixing methods and bread making used in the bakery
- Use of size reduction portioning equipment in the bakery
- Bread faults you may come across in the bakery trade
- Use of retardation, proving and pre-oven preparation in the bakery trade
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will learn skills in:
- Handling and storing bakery ingredients and supplies
- Processing bread using mechanical dough development
- Processing bread using bulk fermentation process
- Processing morning goods
- Proving, baking and frying fermented dough products
- Finishing and packing fermented dough products
- Pre-baking and post-baking almond and sugar-based flour confectionery
- Pre-baking and post-baking cake and sugar-based flour confectionery
- Pre-baking and post-baking pastry-based flour confectionery
- Pre-baking and post-baking scone-based flour confectionery
How will I be assessed?
Throughout the course you will be assessed through observation during practical sessions, gather evidence for your portfolio and end of unit testing to assess your knowledge and understanding.
What can I do next?
The skills you will learn on the course will enable you to:
- Work in a bakery or confectionery establishment
- Specialise in mechanical dough development
- Progress to the FDQ Professional Bakery Skills Level 3 qualification
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access the course you are required to have four or more GCSEs at Grade E or above, or successful completion of a full Level 1 study programme