Certificate in Professional Bakery FDQ Level 2 (part-time)Course Code: BK2DP-1P1A Learning Aim Code: 60068656 Full-time / Part-time: Part-time (one-and-a-half days per week) Duration: 34 Campus: Metro One
Is this the right course for me?
If you want a career in the bakery industry the part-time Level 2 certificate in professional bakery will give you all the ingredients you need!
You’ll develop practical skills and knowledge in a wide range of bread, pastry, flour, confectionery and cake decoration techniques and processes, as well as learning about important aspects of the bakery business such as safe food preparation and developing a bakery business.
You’ll train in our industry-standard bakery at the Metro One campus in the city centre and will get the chance to develop your customer service skills by selling what you make in our on-site bakery shop.
Gaining the qualification will enable you to pursue a career in the bakery industry or progress to a higher level course.
What will I learn?
During this course you will study the following modules:
- Bakery skills in mixing, processing, baking, finishing and presenting products
- Fermented products (bread and pastries)
- Flour confectionery (cake and sponge products)
- Sugar-based products (meringues and celebration cakes)
- Chocolate craft
You will also have the option of completing additional optional modules in:
- Bakery knowledge
- Enterprise skills
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will develop skills in:
- Handling and storing bakery ingredients and supplies
- Processing bread using a range of industry processes
- Proving, baking, frying and finishing fermented dough products
- Pre-bake confectionery
- Cake decoration using a range of techniques and icing
- Principles of bakery ingredients and processes
- Food safety
- Developing a food business
How will I be assessed?
Throughout the course you will be assessed in the following ways:
- Observation during practical sessions
- End of unit testing
- Production of a portfolio
What can I do next?
Successful completion of this course will enable you to:
- Progress to a Level 3 diploma in professional bakery, professional cookery, cake decoration or food and beverage service
- Pursue an apprenticeship in the bakery industry
- Apply for jobs – such as a bakery craft or food preparation operative - in the bakery industry
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access the course you are required to have four or more GCSEs at Grade E or above.
You do not need to have any prior food skills or bakery qualifications to access this course.