Professional Bakery Skills FDQ Level 3Course Code: BK3DP Learning Aim Code: 60068668 Full-time / Part-time: Full-time Duration: One Year Campus: Metro One campus
Is this the right course for me?
If you are passionate about baking and confectionery and want a career in the industry this is the course for you!
You will gain the skills and knowledge needed to become a professional baker, working with industry-standard ingredients and learning about the various ways in which bread, cakes, scones, muffins and pastry are made including mechanical dough development, bulk fermentation and many more.
You will get the chance to work with real customers and put your customer service skills to the test in our very own bakery shop and will also learn about the theoretical side of bakery such as HACCP (hazard analysis critical control points) and quality procedures in bakeries.
Gaining the qualification will enable you to pursue a career in the bakery industry or progress to a higher education qualification at university.
What will I learn?
During this course you will study the following modules:
- Quality control
- Ovens and the baking process
- Post baking operational and legal requirements
- Good communication in bakery
- Creating and maintaining good working relationships
- Fats and oils used in the bakery
- Enterprise model studied throughout the year on how to set up a business
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will learn about:
- Principles of food safety and working in food manufacture
- Features of the food manufacture sector
- Working effectively in food manufacturing
- Monitoring and maintaining quality procedures
- Monitoring and assessing risks in food manufacture
- Principles of effective food manufacture
- Compliance with food safety legislation
- Application and monitoring of hygiene practices
- Applying HACCP in food safety
- Producing fermented dough products
- Proving and baking fermented dough products
- Producing and depositing flour confectionery batters and mixes in food manufacture
- Food safety
- Functional skills
- Enterprise skills in setting up a business
- Supervisory skills
How will I be assessed?
During the course you will be assessed through observations during practical sessions, gathering evidence for your portfolio and end of unit tests to assess to your learning, knowledge and understanding.
What can I do next?
The skills you will learn on this course will enable you to:
- Pursue a career in the industry working in a bakery or confectionery establishment
- Specialise in cake making and various fancy breads that are a key aspect of bakeries
- Progress to a higher education qualification at university
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access this course you are required to have:
- Four or more GCSEs at Grade C or above including English or maths OR