Professional Cookery NVQ Diploma Level 2Course Code: PFCN2 Learning Aim Code: 50099796 Full-time / Part-time: Full-time Duration: One Year Campus: Metro One Campus
Is this the right course for me?
Are you passionate about food or interested in preparing, cooking and presenting high quality dishes?
Do you want to learn more about food from around the world or the techniques and standards used in the industry?
Perhaps you’re already working in another trade and would like to change direction and learn something new?
We want you to be as passionate about food as we are and our NVQ Diploma in Professional Cookery will give you the skills and knowledge you need to work in the industry.
We have very high success rates on this course and excellent feedback from our past students, in fact, some have gone on to become head chefs in London or cook at major events like Wimbledon.
While you are on this course you will get to visit different types of restaurants in the local area, local hotels and markets, artisan businesses and industry-related exhibitions and will get the chance to hear from guest speakers with experience in the industry including chefs, local entrepreneurs, suppliers, environmental health officers, the Armed Forces, Chamber of Commerce and the Springboard and White Ribbon charities.
What will I learn?
During this course you will study the following modules:
- Knife skills
- Food hygiene
- Health and safety
- How to work as part of a team
- Prepare, cook and finish: meat dishes, poultry dishes, fish dishes, hot sauces, cold sauces and dressings, soups and hot and cold desserts
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will:
- Develop your understanding of preparing dishes and how to present them to restaurant standard
- Learn how work as part of a team and how to help each other
- Develop an appreciation for tastes and textures and how to adjust dishes to bring out the flavour
- Develop your confidence identifying the quality points to look for in all produce
- Understand how the skills you are learning and how they are applied in the catering industry
- Improve your knife and presentation skills
How will I be assessed?
This is an assessment based course with no formal exams. You will be continually assessed throughout the programme.
What can I do next?
The skills you will learn on this course will enable you to:
- Pursue a career in the catering industry working in hotels, restaurants, public houses, bistros, hospitals or industrial kitchens
- Progress to the Professional Cookery Level 3 qualification (subject to interview)
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access this course you are required to have:
- Four or more GCSESs at Grade E or above, or successful completion of a full level 1 study programme