Professional Cookery NVQ Diploma Level 3Course Code: PFCN3 Learning Aim Code: 50094397 Full-time / Part-time: Full-time Duration: One Year Campus: Metro One Campus
Is this the right course for me?
Are you an experienced professional chef ready to take your cooking skills to the next level?
With the Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Professional Cookery you can step up your general cooking standards and is ideal if you have with plenty of experience in a professional kitchen and want to develop your skills further to become a specialist chef or move into a management role.
The course is also suitable if you have a Level 2 qualification in professional cookery or are currently studying Level 2 and wish to progress to the next level.You might be currently employed as a chef, or studying in a college. You must be over 16 to take these qualifications.
What will I learn?
During this course you will study the following modules:
- Food hygiene Health and safety
- Effective professional communication
- Prepare cook and finish complex meat dishes
- Prepare cook and finish complex poultry dishes
- Prepare cook and finish complex fish dishes
- Prepare cook and finish complex hot sauces
- Prepare cold sauces and complex dressings
- Cook and finish Shellfish
- Prepare cook and finish complex cold desserts
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will:
- Develop vital skills in food safety and hygiene
- Choose from a range of practical options in anything from cooking shellfish dishes to developing menus
- Develop your understanding of preparing dishes and how to present to restaurant standard
- Learn how work as part of a team and supervise others
- Develop an appreciation for tastes and textures and how to adjust dishes to bring out the flavour
- Develop your confidence identifying the quality points to look for in all produce
- Understand how the skills you are learning and how they are applied in the catering industry
- Improve your teamwork and presentation skills
How will I be assessed?
This is an assessment based course with no formal exams. You will be continually assessed throughout the programme.
What can I do next?
The skills you will learn on the course will enable you to:
- Pursue a career in the catering industry working in a range of venues including hotels, restaurants, public houses, bistros, hospitals or industrial kitchens
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access this course you are required to have:
- Four or more GCSEs at Grade C or above including English or maths (specified which for some courses) OR
- NVQ Professional Cookery Level 2 qualification