Science GCSECourse Code: CSCGC Learning Aim Code: 60008921 Full-time / Part-time: Part-time (Evening) Duration: One Year Campus: Paget Road campus
Is this the right course for me?
If you are interested in science the GCSE course will give you a broad overview of the three main science areas – biology, chemistry and physics – and will enable you to investigate and solve scientific problems and communicate scientific observations and arguments effectively.
The qualification will enable you to progress to a Level 3 science course and also progress to higher education qualifications or career options for which GCSE Science is an essential requirement.
You will carry out practical sessions in our well-equipped science labs and throughout the course will have the opportunity to go on science-related educational visits and field trips.
What will I learn?
During the course you will study the following modules:
- How humans respond to changes
- What we can do to keep healthy
- What causes disease and how to defend our bodies
- Environmental Biology Chemistry
- How rocks provide building materials
- Extraction and uses of metals
- Fuels and crude oil
- Earth and the atmosphere
- Use of plant oils Physics
- Electricity and electrical devices
- Generating electricity
- Waves and electro-magnetic spectrum
- The universe and our solar system
- Heat transfer
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will develop your knowledge and understanding of:
- Material, physical and living worlds
- Effects of science on society
- Importance of scale in science
- Nature of science and of the scientific processes
- Relationships between hypotheses, evidence, theories and explanations
- Risk and potential risk in the context of potential benefits
- Observational, practical, modelling, enquiry and problem solving skills
- Communication, mathematics and the use of technology in scientific contexts
How will I be assessed?
Throughout the course you will be assessed through course work and a one hour exam in each area – biology, chemistry, physics.
What can I do next?
Completion of the course will enable you to:
- Progress to a Level 3 Science course
- Access a range of higher education courses and career options for which GCSE Science is an essential requirement – e.g. teacher training
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access this course you will be required to:
- Attend a college interview
- Undertake an assessment to determine your level of knowledge