Sport BTEC 90 Credit Diploma Level 3Course Code: SPRDP Learning Aim Code: 60039310 Full-time / Part-time: Full-time Duration: One Year Campus: Wellington Road Campus
Is this the right course for me?
If you love sport and want to be part of a dynamic and exciting industry then this is the right course for you.
This qualification is designed to develop your understanding of coaching, fitness and sports development. You will learn about the body in sport, exercise and fitness and preparing for working in the industry, as well as developing occupational skills such as teamwork, effective communication and problem solving.
The course will provide you with all the skills you need to impress your future employer and progress into employment or onto the HNC/HND.
What will I learn?
During this course you will study:
- Principles of anatomy and physiology in sport
- The physiology of fitness
- Assessing risk in sport
- Fitness training and programming
- Principles and practices of outdoor education
- Fitness testing for sport and exercise Optional Units:
- Sports coaching
- Sports development
- Practical team sports
- Practical individual sports
- Sports nutrition
- Exercise, health and lifestyle
- Instructing physical activity and exercise
- Psychology for sports performance
- Physical education and the care of children and young people
- Work experience
- Technical and tactical skills
- The athlete’s lifestyle
- Profiling sports performance
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will:
- Develop your understanding on key anatomical structure and function
- Learn how to develop training programmes for specific groups
- Develop your confidence in dealing with work related issues
- Understand how to apply your skills to areas of the industry
- Improve your knowledge and understanding within key training principles
- Gain valuable team working and communication skills by taking part in events such as the college Olympics
How will I be assessed?
A variety of assessment methods are used including individual and group presentations, case studies, role-plays, question and answer, producing display materials, time constrained assessments, work-based assignments and assessment. This will allow you to develop skills you currently possess and work on new skills that will help you progress, it will also allow you to build a portfolio of evidence and complete other workpacks that are required for you to gain the qualifications in this programme.
What can I do next?
The skills you will learn from this course will enable you to:
- Progress directly onto the Extended Diploma as a year 2 option and then gain a place of study on our HNC Sport programme here at the college as a direct progression route onto Level 4 when you have completed the BTEC Extended Diploma in Sport
- Pursue a career as a sports scientist, physiotherapist, sports coach, sports development officer, sports psychologist or PE teacher or in leisure management
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access this course you are required to have:
- Four or more GCSEs at Grade C or above including English and ideally Maths, PE and Science or a BTEC First Diploma at Merit (equivalent), or NVQ Level 2 Coaching at Pass both with Level 2 Key Skills in Communication
- Police declarations, CRB and suitable references
- Acceptance on course subject to a curriculum interview