Sport BTEC Diploma Level 1Course Code: SA1DP Learning Aim Code: 60091708 Full-time / Part-time: Full-time Duration: 21 Weeks Campus: Wellington Road Campus
Is this the right course for me?
With a purpose-built sports centre, amazing facilities, outstanding success rates and great links with employers, we can really help you kick start your career in sport!
Our BTEC Level 1 Diploma is designed to develop your understanding of coaching, fitness and sports development and the body in sport, exercise and fitness, giving you the practical and occupational skills required to work in the sports and recreation industry.
Progression opportunities, such as the Level 2 Activity Leadership focusing on football coaching and the Level 2 Exercise & Fitness course will allow you to progress onto an exciting career in this industry.
What will I learn?
During this course you will study:
- Fitness for sport and exercise
- Practical sports performance
- Carrying out a sports-related project
- The mind and sports performance
- The sports performer in action
- Training for personal fitness
- Anatomy and physiology for sports performance Optional Units:
- Designing exercise programmes
- Facility operations for sport and leisure
- Expedition experience
- Work experience in sport
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will:
- Develop your understanding of key anatomical structures and functions
- Learn how to develop training programmes for specific groups
- Develop your confidence in dealing with work related issues
- Understand how to apply your skills to areas of the industry
- Improve your knowledge and understanding within key training principles
- Gain valuable team working and communication skills by taking part in events such as the college Olympics
How will I be assessed?
A variety of assessment methods are used including individual and group presentations, case studies, role-plays, question and answer, producing display materials, time constrained assessments, work-based assignments and assessment. This will allow you to develop skills you currently possess and work on new skills that will help you progress, it will also allow you to build a portfolio of evidence and complete other workpacks that are required for you to gain the qualifications in this programme.
What can I do next?
The skills you will learn from this course will enable you to:
- Progress directly onto the Activity Leadership Level 2 (Football Coaching) or onto a VTCT Exercise and Fitness Level 2
- Progress on to further education programmes in sport, following successful completion of the BTEC Sport Diploma and Functional skills, gaining excellent attendance and showing a positive attitude
- Pursue a career as a sports scientist, physiotherapist, sports coach, sports development officer, sports psychologist, PE teacher or in leisure management
What are the Entry Requirements?
There are no formal entry requirements to access this course however an interest in the subject and keenness to study is essential. Acceptance on the course is subject to an interview. If you want to progress to Level 2 you will need to successfully complete this level along with the required level for English and Maths.