Sport Performance & Excellence (Football-based) BTEC 90-Credit Diploma Level 3Course Code: SPRDP Learning Aim Code: 60039310 Full-time / Part-time: Full-time Duration: One year Campus: Wellington Road campus
Is this the right course for me?
Coach your way to success!
If you love football coaching – and want to inspire others - then this is the course for you!
The course is designed to develop your understanding of football-based performance and excellence and prepare you for working in the industry. You will develop your coaching skills as well as occupational skills such as team work, effective communication and problem solving.
Successful completion of the qualification will enable you to progress to working in the sports industry or continue studying at a higher education level such as an HNC or HND in sport.
What will I learn?
During the course you will study the following mandatory modules:
- Principles of anatomy and physiology in sport
- Physiology of fitness
- Assessing risk in sport
- Fitness training and programming
- Fitness testing for sport and exercise
- Sports nutrition
- Psychology for sports performance
- Technical and tactical skills in sport
- Athlete’s lifestyle
- Sports coaching
- Practical team sports
- Current issues in sport
- Instructing physical activity and exercise
- Sports injuries
- Analysis of sports performance
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will:
- Develop your understanding on key anatomical structure and function
- Learn how to develop training programmes for specific groups
- Develop your confidence in dealing with work- related issues
- Understand how to apply your skills to areas of the industry
- Improve your knowledge and understanding within key training principles
- Gain valuable team working and communication skills by taking part in events such as the college Olympics
- Talking to local providers for work experience (speaking & listening)
- Reading the latest Sports Journals (reading)
- Completing written assessments (writing)
- Comparing performance profiling scores with an athlete (number)
- Calculating the space needed to Coach a session (measure, shape and space)
- Interpreting fitness testing data (data)
How will I be assessed?
Throughout the course you will be assessed in the following ways:
- Timed assessments
- Work-based assignments and assessment
- Individual and group presentations
- Case studies
- Role play
- Question and answer sessions
- Producing display materials
- Production of a portfolio of evidence / workpack
What can I do next?
Successful completion of the course will enable you to progress to the one-year BTEC Extended Diploma in Sport*
*On successful completion of the BTEC Extended Diploma in Sport you will then be able to progress to a higher education qualification such as an HNC or HND in sport.
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access the course you are required to have:
- Five GCSEs at grade A to C, including English and ideally maths, PE and science OR
- BTEC First Diploma at Merit (or equivalent) with Level 2 Key Skills in Communication OR
- NVQ Level 2 Coaching at Pass with Level 2 Key Skills in Communication
You will also be required to have suitable references and DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) clearance and attend an interview with a college tutor to determine your suitability for the course.