Sports Coaching HNCCourse Code: SPTHC Learning Aim Code: 50082978 Full-time / Part-time: Part-time Duration: One Year Campus: Wellington Road Campus
Is this the right course for me?
Kick start your coaching career with this higher level course!
This qualification is designed to develop your understanding of the principles of coaching, fitness testing, ethics and values in sport, nutritional guidance, the body in sport, working with children and practical sport. The skills you will learn will enable you to progress on to a full degree or go straight into work in this rewarding area of sport.
What will I learn?
During this course you will study the following modules:
- Applied sports coaching
- The evolution of sports development
- The sport and leisure industry Optional Units (selection):
- Anatomy and physiology for sport and exercise
- Sport and exercise psychology
- Biomechanics for sport
- Nutrition for sport and exercise
- Training and fitness for sport and exercise
- Principles of sports coaching Managing sports development
- Sport and society
- Work-based experience
- Skill acquisition in sport
- Law and sport and leisure operations
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will:
- Develop your understanding of key anatomical structures and functions Learn how to develop training programmes for specific groups
- Develop your confidence in dealing with work related issues
- Understand how to apply your skills to areas of the industry
- Improve your knowledge and understanding within key training principles
How will I be assessed?
A variety of assessment methods are used including individual and group presentations, case studies, role-plays, question and answer, producing display materials, time constrained assessments, work-based assignments and assessment. This will allow you to develop skills you currently possess and work on new skills that will help you progress. It will also allow you to build a portfolio of evidence and complete other workpacks that are required for you to gain the qualifications in this programme.
What can I do next?
The skills you have learnt from this course will enable you to:
- Progress directly onto the HND as a year 2 option and then gain a place of study on your third and final year at university. You may also add specific units to enhance your knowledge to aid you in your current workplace
- Pursue a career as a sports scientist, physiotherapist, sports coach, sports development officer, sports psychologist, PE Teacher or leisure manager
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access this course you are required to have:
- At least two A Levels preferably in Sport or Science or BTEC National Certificate / BTEC National Diploma in Sport or related discipline
- Mature students will be considered in light of relevant work and life experience