Travel & Tourism BTEC Extended Diploma Level 3Course Code: TVLED Learning Aim Code: 50098615 Full-time / Part-time: Full-time Duration: One year Campus: Wellington Road campus
Is this the right course for me?
Travel towards your final destination with the second year of your travel and tourism programme.
Travel and Tourism is an exciting, fast-paced and growing industry that can bring out the best in you.
On this course you’ll gain essential practical skills which will be enhanced by a range of visits to key travel and tourism organisations and learn from key industry representatives who will share their expertise and knowledge.
What will I learn?
During this course you can study the following modules:
- Marketing travel and tourism products and services
- Preparing for employment in travel and tourism
- European destinations
- Long-haul travel destinations
- Retail travel operations
- Investigating the cruise industry
- Specialist tourism
- UK visitor attractions
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will:
- Develop your understanding of the developments that have shaped the current tourism sector
- Learn how the component industries work together
- Develop an appreciation for the importance of excellent customer service in the sector
- Develop your confidence and improve your skills in dealing with a range of customer types
- Understand the factors that affect tourism around the world
- Gain valuable team working and communication skills by taking part in planning trips and holidays for customers
- Gain the opportunity to study in more depth a range of areas such as different holiday and cruise destinations, visitor attractions and tourism career roles
- Improve your English skills through booking holidays with customers (speaking and listening), reading holiday reviews and planning a holiday or trip (writing)
- Develop your maths skills by comparing holiday prices (number), planning a hospitality provision (measure, shape and space) and finding statistical data tourism numbers (data)
How will I be assessed?
A variety of assessment methods are used including individual and group presentations, case studies, assignments, reports and marketing and event presentation materials.
What can I do next?
The skills you will learn from this course will enable you to:
- Pursue a career in a range of travel sectors such as cabin crew, holiday representatives, tour guides, travel agents, handling agents, airport staff and many more
- Complete the second year of your programme and progress further to our HNC
- Move on to a HE course in tourism management, travel and tourism events management, adventure tourism management, travel journalism or festival and event management (when achieved alongside other qualifications such as previously gained GCSE’s and/or BTEC First Diploma)
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access this course you are required to have:
- Give GCSEs at Grade C or above (including English and Maths) or successful completion of the Level 2 BTEC First Diploma in Travel and Tourism at Grade Merit or above