Construction Short Course: I want to… Understand ElectricsCourse Code: UNECE Learning Aim Code: Z0001790 Full-time / Part-time: Part-time Duration: One day Campus: Wellington Road campus
Is this the right course for me?
If you are a mechanical maintenance engineer who needs an appreciation of electrical systems then this one-day course will teach you the basics.
What will I learn?
During this course you will study:
- Legislation and regulations
- Safe isolation procedure
- Chemical hazards
- Electric motors used in light industry
- Load considerations and IP environmental suitability
- Relays, motor-starting DOL / Star / Delta
- Overload protection - thermal
- Magnetic / hydraulic, thermistor
- Start / Lock-off / Stop / Isolation equipment
- Utlisation of test equipment
- Amps / Volts / Ohms
- Distribution systems
- Fuse boards
- MCBs / Types of MCBs and applications
- Cabling systems in common use and types of cable
- Florescent stroboscope effect
- Consideration of wiring protection
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will:
- Improve your understanding of electrical systems
- Learn how to disconnect and reconnect electrical supply
- Learn how to competently work with electrical services and components
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed at the end of the course to ascertain your understanding of the subjects.
What can I do next?
We offer courses that can build on this one day course to enable you to become fully qualified.
What are the Entry Requirements?
There are no entry requirements for this course.