BTEC First Extended Certificate in Public Services Level 2Course Code: PS2DP Learning Aim Code: 50077727 Full-time / Part-time: Full-time Duration: One Year Campus: Wellington Road Campus
Is this the right course for me?
Careers in the public services can be incredibly rewarding. This course will give you an introduction to the skills and level of physical fitness you need to enter most public service organisations.
You will gain valuable team-working, problem-solving and communication skills by taking part in navigation activities on Cannock Chase and will benefit from trips and visits to fire stations and meet the marines and local army reserve units, as well as hear from guest speakers from police services.
You’ll visit public service organisations to gain knowledge from key personnel and find out about career opportunities and will have the chance to take part n their on-site training activities. There will also be the opportunity to attend the Royal Marines three-day residential course.
We have a high success rate on this course and receive excellent feedback from our past students - many progress to the Level 3 diploma in public services to develop their skills and knowledge further and others have gone on to join the Royal Marines, Army or Royal Navy. become special constables or progress to higher education courses for fire fighting and policing.
What will I learn?
During this course you will study a selection of mandatory and optional units including:
- The role and work of the public services
- Working skills in the public service sector
- Employment in the public services
- Public services and community protection
- Health, fitness and lifestyle for the public services
- Citizenship, society and the public services
- Crime and its effects on society and individuals
- Promotion of public service provision
- Community and cultural awareness
- Adventurous activities in the public services
- Sport and recreation in the public services
- Land navigation by map and compass
- Volunteering for the public services
- Multi-day expedition experience
- Health and safety in the public services
- Employability skills in the public services
- Preparing to respond to emergency incidents
- Security procedures in the public services
- Carrying out a project in public services
- Law and its impact on the individual
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will:
- Gain an understanding of the public service sectors
- Discover the levels of fitness required for each of the uniformed services and how to improve your health and fitness for entry into these services
- Gain valuable team working and communication skills by taking part in team-building activities and educational visits
- Develop skills in navigation and map-reading in an outdoor environment
- Gain the opportunity to volunteer in the local community by being involved in fundraising activities
- Develop a range of skills and techniques, personal skills and attributes essential for successful performance in working life
How will I be assessed?
Throughout the course you will be assessed in the following ways:
- Individual and group presentations
- Case studies
- Practical fitness tests
- Practical application of map and compass work
- Two externally moderated exams
What can I do next?
The skills you will learn from this course will enable you to:
- Apply to join the uniformed public services, such as the fire brigade, ambulance service, army, police and the prison service
- Progress onto the Level 3 BTEC 90-Credit Diploma in Uniformed Public Services
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access this course you are required to have:
- Four or more GCSESs at Grade E or above (including English and Maths) or
- Successful completion of a full Level 1 study programme