Uniformed Public Services BTEC Diploma Level 3Course Code: PSEDP Learning Aim Code: 60038913 Full-time / Part-time: Full-time Duration: One Year Campus: Wellington Road Campus
Is this the right course for me?
This course could open up a whole range of rewarding careers in the Armed Forces and emergency services. You’ll learn about major incidents, international perspectives, human behaviour, diversity, criminology and your own personal effectiveness in emergency situations.
A strong emphasis is placed on working effectively in a team and you will take part in a variety of outdoor activities such as navigation and orienteering. You’ll also work on your physical fitness by taking part in sports activities to bring you up to the level required by public service organisations.
You will benefit from a number of trips such as mountain walking in the Peak District, visits to the Houses of Parliament and House of Lords and development days with the army, Royal Marines and Royal Navy.
On completion of the course you could go directly in to employment in your chosen field or on to further higher-level study.
This is a full-time one year course leading to the Extended Diploma studied in year two.
What will I learn?
During this course you will study:
- Government policies
- Leadership and teamwork
- Citizenship, diversity and the public services
- Understanding discipline
- Fitness testing and training
- Skills for land-based and adventurous activities
- Command and control
- Volunteering in the public services
- Crime and its effects on society
- Gain an understanding of the public service sectors
- Develop knowledge, understanding and skills required by the sector, including essential employability skills
- Gain an opportunity to discover the levels of fitness required for each of the uniformed services and how to improve their health and fitness for entry into these services
- Gain valuable leadership, team working and communication skills by taking part in team-building activities and educational visits
- Develop skills in navigation and map-reading in an outdoor environment
- Develop common core knowledge of Government policies, crime and its effects on society and citizenship and diversity
- Apply to join the uniformed public services, such as the fire brigade, ambulance service, army, police and the prison service
- Progress onto Higher Education (HE) courses in this sector such as Public Services or Police Studies
- Four or more GCSEs at Grade C or above (including English and Maths) or successful completion of the Level 2 BTEC First Diploma in Uniformed Public Services at Grade Merit or above
Optional Units include a selection from:
What skills will I gain?
By studying this course you will:
How will I be assessed?
A variety of assessment methods are used including individual and group presentations, case studies, assignments, reports, practical fitness testing and practical application of map and compass work.
What can I do next?
The skills you will learn from this course will enable you to:
What are the Entry Requirements?
To access this course you are required to have: